DTS to DD 5.1

Badge +1

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere.

I have a Now TV smart box that only gives me options of “auto” and “stereo” output. If I leave it as “auto” it detects that my (Samsung) TV can decode DTS and sends that. I am unable to force it to send Dolby Digital and I have to set my TV output to PCM (it’s that or DTS).

So, I am either hoping that someone could let me know the best way of getting a DD 5.1 signal from the TV to put into my Beam when using this setup.

DD 5.1 works fine on apps like Netflix/Amazon that are installed on the TV.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You need to get your TV to only do DD 5.1, then when it negotiates with your device the device should only send that. Older Samsung TVs are not so smart about this than the newer ones, you may need to insert an EDID manager between the device and the TVto force the negotiation.

Badge +1

That sounds like what I need - do you have a suggestion as what to use?

Badge +1

would this be a good option?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kwmobile-Manager-audio-video-control-Black/dp/B01M3SH3CL/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=4K+EDID+Emulator&qid=1584183570&refinements=p_72%3A419153031&rnid=419152031&sr=8-15

I assume that I connect the TV to one input and the Now TV box to the other and select “E” for 1080p with DD 5.1

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yes, that is the very device I used on my older Samsung TV, used exactly as you suggested.

Badge +1

Hi,

I got one and tried it - weirdly setting to 4K 5.1 gives me 5.1 sound but the Sonos app on my phone says stereo and the TV says PCM!

Anyway, I am a happy camper - especially as I am in Spain and we’re currently confined to our homes for at least a couple of weeks. I can enjoy movies with surround sound! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not to rain on your parade, but when the app says you hear stereo, it’s probably right…… The fact your TV states it is sending PCM is also a sign. It seems like you’re not there yet.

Badge +1

I listened to / watched a dd 5.1 test on youtube and it seemed to give me correct results. i.e. when it reported rear left the sound only came from the rear left, etc. I’ll probably keep playing with settings, as I’m stuck inside for the foreseeable :)

Badge +1

not great news - being forced to stay at home has given me time to play around.

My TV is a Samsung UE43KU6400U, attached to a Sonos Beam via optical. When I play a DVD, via HDMI, with 5.1 sound the TV passes this through the optical connection with no issues - the Sonos app shows DD 5.1. However, when I change the HDMI input to my Now TV black 4K box - attached via the EDID manager mentioned above the Now TV box detects that the audio requested is DD and I assume that is what it sends - the TV can only send PCM stereo to the Beam.

I have tried every setting on the EDID manager and always get the same result. I’m looking for ideas, although I’m thinking that the TV may not be capable of doing what I need. All software and firmwarew is up to date on all devices.

Mark

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Actually I think your TV is clearly capable of what you need, as it works for the DVD input. It appears that the Now TV box is the problem: it is unable to deliver DD 5.1 to the TV despite your best efforts.

Do you have al link to the docs for this Now TV device?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The help for Now TV only mentions DD+, so maybe that’s the problem. Not sure if this is the same Now though: https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-adjust-audio-settings

Badge +1

that does seem to be the issue - I guess I need to wait for a software update to the Now TV box!