Question

Dolby Digital signal for Sonos Beam

• 12 April 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi!

One of the Sonos customer reps recommended I come here to try to troubleshoot a solution for my TV and Sonos Beam situation. My end goal is to have my TV output its Dolby Digital signal to my beam. Here's my setup:

TV: LG 60PV450. Here's the manual: https://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-60PV450
Sonos Beam connected through the Digital Optical port.

I've contacted LG, and they have confirmed that my TV supports Dolby Digital 4-channel, but that the TV software/firmware UI does not have a way to send that signal through the Optical port. And there is no updated firmware for the TV (ARC is not supported for any of the HDMI ports either).

So, I know there's no way through my current TV settings to output the DD signal through the Optical cable, but I was wondering if there may be an unconventional way to turn one of my HDMI ports into an ARC port so that the TV's DD signal could be communicated to the Beam.

Maybe something like a mini receiver? Or maybe something like some of these options on Amazon? https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+to+hdmi+arc+adapter&crid=BT464SP2250A&sprefix=hdmi+to+hdmi+arc%2Caps%2C373&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_16

It's been quite sad to only have stereo sound while watching movies; I'm hoping there may still be hope to get the DD signal to my Beam. Thanks for any help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I'm not aware of any way to change a normal HDMI port into a HDMI-ARC port, without basically replacing the inside electronics of the processing system on the TV (read that as it would be cheaper to buy a new TV).

There are a lot of threads in this area of this forum that discuss devices like you linked to. I don't use one myself, and this one

https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Extractor-Splitter-Optical-Supports/dp/B01I9JG70A/ref=sr_1_7?crid=BT464SP2250A&keywords=hdmi+to+hdmi+arc+adapter&qid=1555103693&s=gateway&sprefix=hdmi+to+hdmi+arc%2Caps%2C373&sr=8-7

is closest IMHO to what you want. Basically, what you're trying to do is split out the sound before it gets to the TV set, so the TV gets the audio portion of the stream, and the Beam gets the audio portion. I'd recommend more of an HDMI switch, so that you can have multiple devices to the extractor, rather than just one.

I would think strongly about whether or not you really want the ARC capability at all. The signal in an optical connection is the same data as one in an HDMI-ARC, and all you'd need to do is use the adapter that came with your Beam to move it from optical to HDMI-ARC.
I think that is exactly what I would be looking for! As you said, something of a mini receiver that can split off the sound before it gets to the TV. I have three HDMI devices and one optical device that I'll need to do that for, so I'll search the forums to see if I can find a splitter like that. If anyone wants to suggest such a device, please feel free as I search the forums as well. Thanks!
Just search amazon for "HDMI Switch Optical" and you can pick and choose which one meets your needs.