Answered

Dolby Atmos with Sonos Arc and 2020 Samsung QLED (Q80T)

I recently purchased a new Samsung (2020) Q80T (Q8DT- Costco) Series - 4K UHD QLED LCD TV and also purchased the Sonos Arc. I have connected the Sonos Arc via HDMI to the back of the TV (HDMI-3 (eARC-Port)). 

In the Expert Sound Settings on the Samsung TV I have enabled:

HDMI-eARC Mode to Auto**

Digital Output Audio Format to Auto

Dolby Atmos Compatibility (selected and on)

I then go to Disney+, Apple TV+ or Amazon Prime on the native apps provided on the Samsung TV and chose a movie with Dolby Atmos listed in details. Once the movie plays I go to the “about my system” on the new Sonos S2 app and select the Sonos Arc to verify the audio output codec. **It displays the Audio In as Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 when HDMI e-ARC is set to “OFF” in the Samsung TV Expert Sound Settings and Dolby Multi Channel PCM 5.1 when HDMI e-ARC is set to “AUTO”. I do not have the Netflix UHD 4k plan at this time so I have not trialed this with Netflix. 

I have never been able to get the Sonos Arc to display Dolby Atmos on the now playing screen or about my system in the app despite multiple attempts at changing the settings.

Note, I’m not streaming from an external device (Apple TV/Roku/Firestick etc), I’m simply using the native apps provided by Samsung which include Netflix, Apple TV+, Disney +, Prime...Additionally, aside from the Sonos Arc I have no other devices plugged into the TV. My TV is connected to my personal 5gHz WiFi and I’ve got decent speeds (30 mbps download and 25 mbps upload).

I can't understand why the Sonos Arc won't play Dolby Atmos. Is it a streaming issue - are the native apps not supporting the output? Is it my internet speeds? My picture seems great though. Also why does the codec change when the HDMI e-ARC is changed from Auto to Off. I would really love to be able to get Dolby Atmos sound coming from the Sonos Arc. Any help or guidance would be really appreciated. Thank you. 

icon

Best answer by jpsmith01 3 July 2020, 00:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Badge

Good to hear you got it working Moniker.

Enjoy. Do you have the Sub?

Yes, have the new Sub and a pair of SL’s For the rears. 

Are there any updates on this issue?

I am having noticeable lip sync delay issues with my Hisense Q8(not eARC) and Sonos Arc. Hisense blame Sonos, but I'm about to take the TV back and was going to swap it for a Q80t. Is that wise at this stage? Is the issue only with eARC?

Any help is great

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Mostly positive experience here. Received and set up SONOS ARC on Samsung Q8DT. No issues with set up. ATMOS shows on S2 App when using AppleTV 4K box. Haven’t messed much with Sammy Apps. I don’t think the local Disney+ App does ATMOS, while it does through the AppleTV box. I believe the AppleTV 4K self configured for ATMOS when I attached the ARC.

Only irritant, besides slight lip sync issue, is that the ARC does not show volume level numbers. I am on Comcast Cable Xfinity service. A poster there suggested changing the cable box output to Stereo will correct the lip-sync on cable programming. it does !!!! So I think it does appear to be an issue within the Dolby Digital codec that is the lip sync culprit.

The lip sync is definitely an issue but I was able to fix that by going to the Samsung expert settings and taking the audio delay to zero (I believe it’s set to set to 80 or 100) at baseline. Then you can change the lip sync delay in the native Sonos app (system - select your device - tv dialogue sync). Once I got rid of the audio delay on the Samsung my lip sync wasn’t an issue anymore. 

Ultimately I was able to get Dolby Atmos to display with the Netflix app but Disney + and Prime still do not display atmos. Might just be the native apps on the Samsung TV. 

It's my understanding that samsung tvs in general, including the newest flagship models don't support dolby atmos fullstop, Samsung don't beleive in it, they don't believe their tvs need it. 

This may already noted/answered. I have the same TV and an Arc. I had to update my Netflix subscription because only the Premium plan allows for Atmos streaming.

Has anyone had any luck getting the native Disney+ and Apple+ apps to put out Dolby Atmos yet? I see it working for Prime but no luck on those two. I have the Samsung Q80T and Sonos Arc. If the Samsung seems problematic, does anyone have experience with the native apps on the Sony XBR 90CH? I hate the idea that I spent this much on a flagship TV only to have to spend another $100 for an external device like Apple TV to get the right sound output I also paid premium for. Thanks! 

Has anyone had any luck getting the native Disney+ and Apple+ apps to put out Dolby Atmos yet? I see it working for Prime but no luck on those two. I have the Samsung Q80T and Sonos Arc. If the Samsung seems problematic, does anyone have experience with the native apps on the Sony XBR 90CH? I hate the idea that I spent this much on a flagship TV only to have to spend another $100 for an external device like Apple TV to get the right sound output I also paid premium for. Thanks! 

I have not been able to get the Native apps to work, but an Amazon Fire Stick 4K is my current workaround and if you keep an eye out for deals you can get them for $20 or so … not ideal, but not too frustrating either.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Atmos 100% works for me using Netflix, Disney plus and Apple TV native apps on my LG C9. So I'd hazard a guess if it's defaulting to 5.1 even though the content you are watching has Atmos (the Atmos logo appears on the movie listing etc) the problem is with the TV not able to do pass through 

according to rtings that q80t should be able to do Atmos pass through over eARC, make sure your RV is on the latest firmware and copy the audio settings from rtings https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80t-qled