Dolby Atmos

• 6 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

I am wondering how i can obtain true dolby atmos  playback with the following setup(i have not bought these items yet, though doing my research to determine if i can achieve true dolby atmos with the following setup);

TV: LG OLED65CXPTA

SOUNDBAR: Sonos Arc(+sub & SL1 rears)

BLU-RAY PLAYER or PS5.

Now, what i am unsure about is how do i connect the PS5 to my TV if the Sonos is connected to my eARC TV HDMI port. The only other port are standard HDMI’s so if the PS5 goes into a standard HDMI on the TV will it passthrough the full audio to the TV?

Im pretty certain the PS5 has a bitstream option to passthrough the full audio quality to the TV but will i be able to get atmos output to the soundbar? 

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I’m not familiar with that LG model, but also have an LG Oled and mine only has one HDMI ARC port (The HDMI Port, not to be confused with the Sonos Arc). And I believe for Dolby Atmos needs a fully working HDMI ARC port. So check it has at least two if you want to go for this setup.

One thing I cannot confirm myself, but I read is that not all HDMI ARC ports actually pass true Atmos. Only newer model TV’s do this and there is noway to check this other then googling.

Getting something like a Arcana should fix that problem https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/. But I’ve not gone that route myself yet. So not sure if it actually does what it says it does from own experience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Getting something like a Arcana should fix that problem https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/. But I’ve not gone that route myself yet. So not sure if it actually does what it says it does from own experience.

I also have LG TV with the Arcana and it works great. I also use this switch, although auto switching has problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The HDMI-ARC is meant to provide sound to the Arc from other HDMI connected sources or from the TV itself. The other HDMI connections seem HDMI 2.1 capable (according to https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/lg-cx-oled-tv), so you can connect the PS5 to any of them.

Awesome, so it looks like it’ll work with the configuration above. Thank you Asgorath, UKMedia & 106rallye for your help. It’s very much appreciated.  

I copied this from another thread I wrote this on. To get Atmos from a PS5 while in disc playback(not streaming)

While a Blu-ray is being played (not in the system menu) on the PS5 press the options button on the PS5 controller. Select the three dots. Select Dynamic range control - turn to Off.  Also try Audio Format - from LPCM to Bitstream.  

The PS5 cannot decode Dolby Atmos when playing back Blu-rays when LPCM is selected(it is the default), you will need to use Bitstream in the Blu-ray hidden menu like above to get Atmos. Also with Dynamic range set to auto (by default) it will act like “Night mode” similar to our Sonos systems.