Answered

Does S2 means optional front speakers for Playber setup?

• 19 March 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

S2 is Sonos next generation software solution. Will it bring optional front speakers for Playbar setup? That would be awesome for better audio separation.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 19 March 2020, 14:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

We don’t know so far. We’ll probably find out in May if it is intended for the first release, but I doubt it for the initial rollout. Since Sonos doesn’t usually pre announce new feature until they actually are released, it’s hard to tell if this is on the table. Pretty much everything we know so far is in the two FAQs that have been released, here and here.

I would be surprised if that happens for the playbar specifically for several reasons.  One, it’s a soundbar and already has those channels covered.  A lot of people would view this is having to pay $700 for a center channel speaker.  The playbar is also rather old, older hardware.  I imagine they would want to reserve capabilities for other enhancements that may be more universally appreciated.  Third, while the optical connection would certainly allow for that, it’s limited and not capable of atmos or other codecs that are becoming more popular.  Not sure people really want to invest more in what amounts to still a rather limited capability system.

My guess would be that Sonos comes out with a playbar 2.0 that has built in upfiring speakers for atmos...and that’s about it.  That likely would appeal to the widest audience, and would take the least amount of development time.  No need to develop and test using more than the current 4 devices in a home theatre room.  I could be wrong, and I’d probably interested in separate fronts if was offered, but I can’t be too optimistic about that possibility.

Well I can say that I really hope so. Now when I’m setting up my system in a larger room I don’t see how L/R can be covered by a soundbar. Good point with a high price for a center speaker tho but shouldn’t it be possible to set up a very well balanced system with addition speakers anyways?

Let’s hope for some DTS support and additional speakers! 

I think that there are multiple theoretical approaches circulating in the industry.

One approach adds more and more physical speakers at various locations around the room. Currently, I think that this approach yields the best overall effect, but it requires more installation effort (and higher cost) than most users are willing to endure.

Another approach is pursuing “object oriented audio” where extensive processing with only a couple speakers can fill a virtual room. This approach requires specialized processing during recording and playback that assigns a three dimensional location to each source. I don’t yet have enough experience with this approach to make any judgement about how playback room acoustics effect the overall impression. My suspicion is that the optimal playback room would be relatively “dead”, thus allowing the processing to control the effect. 

A “bar” is a middle approach that uses existing formats and some processing to spread the audio image around the room somewhat. Bar’s are easy to install, however, they are dependent on the room acoustics. Placing a bar inside a cabinet is not a great idea.

My living room is about 16 feet deep and 20 foot wide, a Sonos PLAYBAR, their oldest sound bar, does a good job of covering the room.

In a room approximately that size, using PLAYBAR, SUB and PLAY:1’s I was able to measure the levels that I measured in IMAX theaters. But the spacial qualities were not quite the same. Actually, in one case I had fewer rattles and buzzes at home.

Regardless I don’t see why Sonos wouldn’t make it an option for their costumers. I’m not a software engineer but could it be that much of a job making this possible?

I’d be alright paying “some” extra for extending the width of the sound. Sound like a profit in their case, assuming I’m not the only one asking for a true 5.1 system.