Display TV audio format on the Now Playing screen in the Sonos app S2

• 25 June 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have a home theatre set up with a Playbase and two Ones as rear surounds. I always have to go to “About My System” tab to check if the system was indeed playing Dolby Digital 5.1.

With the release of the new Arc and Sonos S2 app. I can see the “TV Now Playing” screen will now display “Dolby Atmos” if the Arc is playing Dolby Atmos, which is brilliant. I think that is both a logical and convienient place to display the audio format that is being played. 

My question is: Why only display Dolby Atmos? I think it will make a lot of sense if it can display all audio format that is being played: Stereo/Dolby Digital 5.1/Dolby Atmos etc. This will benefit all Sonos home theatre owners, beam/playbar/playbase and Arc included.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Atmos is not actually an audio codec, it’s an audio format.  Stereo PCM/ DD 5.1/ DD+/ True HD/ MAT are codecs, with DD+/ TrueHD/ MAT capable of carrying the Atmos format.  So there is a bit of a difference.

That said, it certainly would be useful to see the codec and format currently playing Now Playing screen.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Many Sonos customers would certainly agree with you. Just seems to make sense.