DirecTV Remote won’t control Beam volume

• 29 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge +2
Hi all

I can’t get my directc remote to control my Sonos beam. I have a Samsung Plasma that I’m using the beat for my audio.

I’ve made sure my directv remote know the Sonos is my audio (using the optical cable to connect the TV to the Beam).

I’ve tried reprogramming the remote. Tired or changing the TV volume with my phone. Can anyone help??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I believe the what you are trying to accomplish is only available through HDMI Arc connection. you would need to use your tv's remote unless the direct tv remote is also programmed to control the volume on the tv. if direct tv remote is programmed for your tv and controls volume, just not when connected to the beam, I am not sure of what can help.
Badge +2
Yep - you got it.

My directv remote controls my TV volume just fine but when I plug the Beam in, it doesn’t control that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Does your DirectTV remote have the selector towards the top of the remote? Last week, I set up my Mom's TV (with DirectTV box) and had to switch the remote to TV and then associate the remote to the Beam.
Badge +2
No selector. TV set to external speakers and the remote won’t recognize the “beam” code on Sonos.
Badge +2
I tried setting up the Sonos as a playbar since there is no directv “beam” code that it allows me to do
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Understood. I saw your reply to a Plasma TV topic from a few months back. If the app is able to control the Beam properly and the problem is just with the remote, it very well could be the light from the TV blocking out the IR signal from the remote. Is it possible to use a book or magazine as a sort of "hat" to block the light from the screen to test if this is what's causing the remote to not be responsive?