Answered

Directv Genie Remote Volume sending signal to Beam and TV

• 27 February 2020
  • 4 replies

Setup the Beam/Sub to a Samsung Plasma TV via optical, not ARC; disabled TV speaker and set to external; followed Sonos procedure to set DirecTV Genie RF remote and all work fine except that the remote is sending a volume control signal to the Beam and the TV and I get a “Not Available” message. The Sonos Controller app sent me to a support page with lots of different remotes and how to fix the problem. I navigated to my Genie remote to follow the instructions, and I get to Step 6 “setup program audio device”, but I do not get that option. I can Pair/Program Remote and I can see Program TV; I can IR/RF Setup that tells me to press the mute and “enter” buttons to start pairing; or I can reset the remote.

What am I missing? What do I need to do to get my Genie Remote to reset itself to not send a volume control signal to the TV?  

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 February 2020, 06:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Train your Genie remote to send a signal for another TV type, rather than Samsung. Then teach your Beam to read that IR code sequence. Your TV will ignore the non-matching volume signals, and the Beam will recognize them. 

Airgetlam, you are on the right track. I found the ingredient that the steps posted by Sonos/DirecTV are missing. In my case, the “setup audio device” option was not available in Step 6, so I was stuck. I found on the DireTV support forum a reply stating you have to first “Program TV” and then, after following on-screen steps, “Program Audio Device” will appear in the list. Sure enough, I made sure the remote and the DTV box were able to talk, selected Program TV, got some messages that took me back to Step 6, and saw Program Audio Device. Followed all the remaining steps as detailed and now my remote only sends volume control to the Beam, and not the TV, so no more annoying messages.

Here is the Link on the Sonos support page that details may remotes and how to fix this problem (except for the missing step in my case).

Hi I tried this and it worked. Now the issue is that I can't turn TV off with Direct tv control. I can only control the directv device and beam.

Please advice.

Cheers.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Beto38.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate your detailed post, I’d be glad to help and look for a resolution.

During the initial setup of your Sonos home theater product, the Sonos app guide you through configuring your TV remote to control the Sonos volume

At this point, it’s best to reach out to the TV or remote manufacturer so they can assist you further if there are additional configuration needed.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.