DD5.1 and Xbox One S

• 29 June 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
In my never ending search for 5.1 while watching my DTS DVS’s (I can’t stream UHD from Netflix etc as there is no fibre in my area) I have purchased an Xbox One S. Will that work out or the box or will I have to use an Optical splitter. I have a Porta SPDIF/Toslink Audio Switch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A89OEUY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but as a audio moron, which is why I purchased a Playbase (mistake) I need help to set it up.

If I need to use the switch, what do I plug into what? I.E. optical cable from TV to ?, Optical cable from Playbase to what? Etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thank guys and dolls.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
In my never ending search for 5.1 while watching my DTS DVS’s (I can’t stream UHD from Netflix etc as there is no fibre in my area) I have purchased an Xbox One S. Will that work out or the box or will I have to use an Optical splitter. I have a Porta SPDIF/Toslink Audio Switch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A89OEUY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but as a audio moron, which is why I purchased a Playbase (mistake) I need help to set it up.

If I need to use the switch, what do I plug into what? I.E. optical cable from TV to ?, Optical cable from Playbase to what? Etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thank guys and dolls.

Hi djsgrant,

When using a HDMI switch you should wire things up as follows. Connect all of your a/v devices via HDMI to the inputs on the switch. Then, run the HDMI video output to your TV, and the optical audio output to your PLAYBASE. This way the switch will send the video for whichever a/v source you've chosen to your TV, and the audio to Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Except that he mentioned it's an optical switch, not HDMI... To ensure you get 5.1 from the Xbox, but also get TV audio, you'd want to connect optical cables from the TV and the Xbox to the input connections on the switch. Then the output from the switch should have an optical cable to your Playbase.

On your Xbox, you should have the audio setting set to use the optical connection, then have the optical output set to Bitstream, and the Bitstream format set to Dolby Digital.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Except that he mentioned it's an optical switch, not HDMI... To ensure you get 5.1 from the Xbox, but also get TV audio, you'd want to connect optical cables from the TV and the Xbox to the input connections on the switch. Then the output from the switch should have an optical cable to your Playbase.

On your Xbox, you should have the audio setting set to use the optical connection, then have the optical output set to Bitstream, and the Bitstream format set to Dolby Digital.

Good point Mike. I was assuming it was a HDMI switch with optical output.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Many thanks gents. I will hook it up as described and report back.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Gents. I am confused. I hooked up the Xbox One S via HDMI only, changed the audio settings for the HDMI to bitstream Dolby Digital and the Sonos app told me I was getting 5.1 while playing a DTS Blu-ray??? I thought the Xbox One S couldn’t convert via HDMI?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Sounds like the Xbox BD player is negotiating codecs with the TV, and deciding to emit DD 5.1 for you. Is there a problem with this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Xbox One and the S and X can all be made to output only Dolby Digital audio, regardless of what the source is. So a DTS DVD or Blu-Ray will be converted if the audio settings are set accordingly.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
The Xbox One and the S and X can all be made to output only Dolby Digital audio, regardless of what the source is. So a DTS DVD or Blu-Ray will be converted if the audio settings are set accordingly.

Thanks Mike. This forum really needs cleaned up. There is so much conflicting advice including input from people who really don’t know what they are talking about. My Sonos Playbase experience has been a very bad one. I purchased it because I wanted top 5.1 sound with no hassle. It has taken hours and hours of research and I still don’t have a satisfactory set up. Thanks to you guys I now have 5.1 from DTS sources but now I have lip-sync issues. For £1700 + £260 for an Xbox One I expect instant, mo compromise top quality sound. The whole experience has left me very frustrated and 90% sure that ultimately I will return all my Sonos gear within the 100 days. If they ever start making kit for the customers instead of trying to impress themselves I may return one day. It’s just too much cash to be unimpressed by.