Answered

Creating a complete Sonos surround sound system

• 8 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Im looking to upgrade my basement entertainment area to a complete sonos surround system. Since i have sonos throughout the house, this is the last room to be integrated. 

I currently have 3 hardwired speakers in the TV wall, and two hardwired in the ceiling above/behind the couch. I was thinking of setting up a sonos compatible receiver (Onkyo or Pioneer) to connect all my entertainment devices. I would like to avoid everything connecting to the TV since I already have the HDMI running behind the wall from the TV to the console table below.

Do I still need the sonos amp with the compatible receiver, if i were to replace in wall and in ceiling speakers to sonos?

Can I create a surround sound environment with 2 in wall sonos speakers in front, ARC sound bar in front, a Sub, and 2 in ceiling sonos speakers behind?

I want to use the hardwired options since everything is already wired. Its a large basement. Ive looked on multiple threads but have only found mixed results. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions/insight to creating a new set up!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 8 February 2022, 05:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

You have a couple of Sonos options:

Two Sonos Amps/Sub Setup - One Amp will power the front left and front right in-wall speakers. This Amp will connect to your TV’s HDMI ARC port. The other Amp will power the two in-ceiling surround speakers and connect wirelessly to the first Amp. Add a wireless Sonos Sub to complete the 4.1 setup.

This option uses a phantom center channel so the in-wall center channel speaker will not be used. This setup is also limited to Dolby Digital and DTS Digital Surround audio. It does not support Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, or multichannel PCM.

Sonos Arc (or Beam Gen 2)/Sub/Amp Setup - The Arc will connect to your TV’s HDMI ARC port and act as the center, front left, and front right channels. The Amp will power the two in-ceiling surround speakers and connect wirelessly to the Arc. Add the Sonos Sub to complete the 5.1.2 setup.

This setup can support Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, and DTS Digital Surround. If your TV has HDMI eARC, it can support Dolby TrueHD and multichannel PCM audio too. You cannot add any more speakers to this setup other than a second Sub so the three in-wall speakers will not be used.

An AV receiver will not be used with either of these setups. If you want to use all five of your in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, you need to use a non-Sonos option.

Thank you, i appreciate the help.

Is the only way to get to a 7.1 or 9.1 system adding sonos Ones?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Sonos supports a maximum of 5.2 (with soundbar in front) or 4.2 (with Amp in front). For a 7.1 or 9.1 system you’ll need to stick to a traditional AVR and wired speakers.