Controlling Volume of Beam Soundbar and 2 Play Ones With TV Remote

• 22 July 2018
  • 4 replies

I have a Beam soundbar and 2 Play 1 speakers. Due to layout restrictions, I don't have the Play 1s set up as surround speakers but as a stereo pair in a seperate room.

I have the two rooms grouped so that I get the TVs sound through the Play 1s in stereo as well as the Beam.

The problem I have is that when I control the volume of the TV/Beam soundbar with the TVs remote it only changes the volume of the Beam and not the Play 1s as well. I have to use the Sonos app to adjust the Play 1s volume.

How do I set the system up so that the Play 1s volume will be adjusted along with the Beam while using the TVs IR remote?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, rdfornasero. Unfortunately, this is not possible with your television remote. We will be sure to forward the request for you, let us know if you need anything else. Many thanks.
I was surprised to find this out as well. I have a Beam grouped with a Play 1, but if I change the volume on my Beam via TV remote, the Play 1 doesn't change.
Badge +2
I have just set up my Beam with a Play 5 and have the same problem. I am surprised as how does a surround sound system work?!! Dont tell me if i introduce a 2nd Play 5 to give me surround sound ill then have to individually control both Play 5 volumes from the app?! Come on Sonos...give us a fix ?
I have just set up my Beam with a Play 5 and have the same problem. I am surprised as how does a surround sound system work?!! Dont tell me if i introduce a 2nd Play 5 to give me surround sound ill then have to individually control both Play 5 volumes from the app?! Come on Sonos...give us a fix ?

That is how surrounds work. What you have is a grouped Play:5 playing the exact same signal as the Beam. Not surrounds, which play the individual surround sound channels..Surrounds require two of the same models bonded to the Beam through the settings menu. At that time, they will all be defined as a single room with a single volume control.