Controlling PlayBar with TiVo remote

• 14 November 2013
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 2
I have a Sonos PlayBar connected to my Sony TV. I use Comcast. I'm considering getting a TiVo. It uses an IR remote. I want to control my PlayBar directly as I do with the Comcast remote. The TiVo remote is programmable. Can I do this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi there,

Yes, if the TiVo remote uses IR to communicate, then you should be able to program it for use with the PLAYBAR. You can use any Sonos controller to navigate to the PLAYBAR's settings and go through the remote control setup again. The controller will guide you through setting up the TiVo remote for use with Sonos.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.
Has anyone figured this out yet?

I have seen this article:

http://allthingsd.com/20130305/raising-the-bar-for-better-tv-sound/
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi Tad, the TiVo remote should work just fine with the PLAYBAR. When you're asked if you'd like to program a remote during the setup, you can follow the on-screen prompts with your TiVo remote to allow it to control the PLAYBAR's volume.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help out.

Thanks.

I don't see the Sonos listed in the tivo menu. How do I pair?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi Bill, the setup is done through the Sonos app. You can program the PLAYBAR to recognize the commands from your TiVo remote. This is done under the Room Settings for your PLAYBAR using any controller application.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I just recently experienced this and wanted this to be easily accessible to anyone. When programming your TIVO remote to your Sonos sound system, please use the Denon code 1041.
I've got TiVo bolt+ w/Soundbar & sub. I just hooked the Soundbar to the the TV and fixed the TiVo remote to control TV likes always. TV automatically controls ssiundbar. Works fine.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Here are the steps I took to get the playbar, TiVo Peanut Remote for a TiVo Roamio, and an LGOLED65C7P to work with both the TiVo remote and the LG magic remote. Both remotes can control the Playbar, and for that matter, both remotes control the TV (e.g. Input).

Step 1: program the TiVo remote to control an LG TV. I used LG code 0011. TiVo>Settings&Messages>Settings>Remote,CableCARD,&Devices>Remote Control Setup. Only program part 1: TV power, volume, and mute. This step gets the peanut remote to speak the same lingo as the TV.

Step 2: use the new peanut remote's volume button to program the Playbar volume. Sonos App >Settings>Room Settings>[choose a room]>TV Setup and Control>Remote Control Setup.

Now, all three devices speak the same remote control lingo. Thus both remotes control the Playbar and the TV. Honestly though, I just use the peanut now....but it's nice to grab the LG Magic from time to time to hit mute if it's nearby.
Ronj, my setup is similar to yours. I have the OLED55C7P, Tivo T6 and the playbar.

When I use your steps I can program the tivo remote with the LG TV.
When I try to program the Tivo remote with the Sonos it kills the volume control for the LG remote. I can reprogram back to LG but not both at the same time. Thoughts?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sorry, I only use the Tivo Peanut remote or occasionally the app (iphone/ipad) ....It sounds like you're trying to use two infrared (or Sonos promgrammed - non-IP) remotes at the same time. According to this, Sonos doesn't support that... https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/playbar-with-multiple-remote-controls-5077092.
Sorry, I only use the Tivo Peanut remote or occasionally the app (iphone/ipad) ....It sounds like you're trying to use two infrared (or Sonos promgrammed - non-IP) remotes at the same time. According to this, Sonos doesn't support that... https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/playbar-with-multiple-remote-controls-5077092.

Thanks, ronj.
Your previous post said "Here are the steps I took to get the playbar, TiVo Peanut Remote for a TiVo Roamio, and an LGOLED65C7P to work with both the TiVo remote and the LG magic remote. Both remotes can control the Playbar, and for that matter, both remotes control the TV (e.g. Input)."

I have would like both the TiVo Peanut remote (I assume it's the regular Tivo Remote) and LG Magic remote to control the audio volume of the Sonos PlayBar. Were you able to do this?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hmmm, forgot about that... my LG remote is in a drawer somewhere. I only use the Tivo remote now. I don't think I ever changed the LG remote...it just works because it's sending the same IR code as the Tivo peanut remote once I plugged in the right LG code to the Tivo peanut remote. So my guess is that the Sonos can't tell my two remotes apart. In step 1 of my instructions I got the Tivo peanut remote to work with the LG TV first....including volume... did you do that?
Yes, I even tried the other 20 or so codes that Tivo recommends. So when when I hit the button on the Tivo remote the LG volume response shows on screen (although it is not on, since all audio comes from Sonos) The Sonos ignores this signal. The LG remote was setup correctly as well so that LG remote will control the TV (as expected) and the volume button also sends a signal to the Sonos to control volume.

When I go to the Sonos app to reconfigure the remote I can have it either learn the LG or the Tivo, but learning one disables the other. I assume that the LG TV receives multiple signals for volume but the Sonos can only receive one kinds and I don't know which code on the Tivo matches exactly with the LG remote so they send the exact same thing. I tried every code in the Tivo setup page to no avail.
Userlevel 1
Badge
You may want to also try this solution.... https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/controlling-sonos-via-lg-smart-tvs-remote-issues-6735877/index1.html#post16134069
Works GREAT!!! My LG tv, Tivo and remote play well together.:)
Userlevel 2
Here are the steps I took to get the playbar, TiVo Peanut Remote for a TiVo Roamio, and an LGOLED65C7P to work with both the TiVo remote and the LG magic remote. Both remotes can control the Playbar, and for that matter, both remotes control the TV (e.g. Input).

Step 1: program the TiVo remote to control an LG TV. I used LG code 0011. TiVo>Settings&Messages>Settings>Remote,CableCARD,&Devices>Remote Control Setup. Only program part 1: TV power, volume, and mute. This step gets the peanut remote to speak the same lingo as the TV.

Step 2: use the new peanut remote's volume button to program the Playbar volume. Sonos App >Settings>Room Settings>[choose a room]>TV Setup and Control>Remote Control Setup.

Now, all three devices speak the same remote control lingo. Thus both remotes control the Playbar and the TV. Honestly though, I just use the peanut now....but it's nice to grab the LG Magic from time to time to hit mute if it's nearby.

**********************************************************************************************************************
THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS ALL THE OTHER ADVICE is BULL THX Ronj: KUDOS
Thanks Much, May 30, 2019 10:20am CST USA, So much worthless advice on this Thread, that goes
β˜ΊοΈπŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚ ☺️ goes for their outside links as Well 😣
**********************************************************************************************************************