Answered

Connecting Sonos Beam to TV with Digital Audio Coaxial Port (Old TV does not have HDMI ARC)

• 25 November 2018
  • 2 replies

• Contributor I
  • 1 reply
Hi,

I have an older Philips TV (42PES0001 d) that has HDMI but not ARC, it has L/R audio out and Digital Audio Out - Coaxial.

I am having trouble finding a connection method to the single HDMI port on the Beam. Google hasn't helped, hoping someone here can put me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

JD
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 25 November 2018, 14:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi JD

You need to purchase a "coaxial to optical converter" then connect the optical adapter supplied with the Beam to one end of the HDMI cable, connect that end to the converter (optical out) and the other end of the HDMI cable to the Beam.

Here's what a coaxial to optical converter looks like: https://www.amazon.com/Whizzotech-Coaxial-Toslink-Converter-sampling/dp/B01DP5N076/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543151801&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=coaxial+to+optical+audio+converter&psc=1

Cheers!
Hi AJ,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That was very helpful. I have purchased that convert from Amazon so I will post to let other s know how I get on when it arrives.

The only downside here is that I have one less reason to convince my wife as to why we need to upgrade our 9 year old TV!

Many thanks

JD