Question

Connecting Projector Optima UHD 60 4K to Playbar

• 25 February 2019
  • 5 replies

I am looking at buying an Optima UHD 60 4k and own a Playbar. What do I need to do/buy to connect the Optima projector with the Playbar to have synchronous sound?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

What kind of audio output does the Optima UHD 60 4K have? What codecs does it support, and what kind of jack does it send it out of?
THis should help: 1xHDMI 1.4a, 1xHDMI 2.0 (w/ HDCP 2.2, MHL 2.1 and Full 18Gbps), VGA-In, Audio-In (3.5mm), Audio-Out, SPDIF Out (Optical), USB 2.0 Port (Service), USB-A Power, RJ45, RS232C, 12V Trigger.
That thing called "SPDIF Out (Optical)" is what you'd connect to your PLAYBAR with an optical cable. Might be an issue stringing a long enough cable, depending on your setup, since you'll want to have the PLAYBAR be in front of you near the screen, and not back where the projector is.

Also, you'll need to be sure that the device will pass through a Dolby Digital signal. I'd be surprised, given the HDMI inputs, if it didn't, but it's better to double check and be safe.
Thank you, Bruce. I appreciate the advice. I'm pretty green this. How do I check if the "device will pass through a Dolby Digital signal"? Where does the Dolby signal come from?
Check with the manufacturer, or find a forum that supports that particular projector, and ask the users there. The Dolby Digital signal is carried in to the device by the HDMI signal, so it comes from whatever device you're using to feed the signal (both audio and digital) to the projector.

There are some TVs that will accept a Dolby Digital signal, but not pass it on through to the digital output. You want to be sure that it can indeed pass through that kind of signal, otherwise getting a Sonos soundbar won't be a good investment.