Question

Connecting Frame TV to Beam via wifi

• 22 November 2020
  • 1 reply

I’ve got a 2019 Samsung Frame TV, and am considering a Sonos Beam to pair with it. I’d like to keep wiring to a minimum. My TV has support for Wifi speakers, and the Sonia Beam has Wifi as well. I’m unclear on whether or not I can connect my TV to the Beam solely over Wifi? Or does it *require* either an HDMI or optical connection?

I know the Frame can connect to Samsung speakers over Wifi but not sure if that’s proprietary because it’s all Samsung. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @marcusdiddle, welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

In setting up your Sonos Beam, the Sonos app will guide you on which cables (HDMI or Optical cables) and ports to use when connecting your Sonos Beam to your TV.  Communicating other devices like your Samsung TV with Sonos over a WiFi connection will not work. You can control your Sonos Beam using the Sonos app.

You can also control your TV with Alexa or Google Assistant added to your Beam, you can use your voice to turn your TV on and off as well as adjust the TV volume. To use these commands, Beam must be connected to your TV’s HDMI-ARC input and your TV needs to have HDMI-CEC enabled. Voice commands for turning the TV on and off will not work if Beam is connected via an optical adapter.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know. The Sonos Community is always here to help.