Connecting digital optical cable to sharp aquos

• 26 December 2017
  • 3 replies

I just bought a playbar and I don't have a digital optical input on my tv. Is there an adaptor out there I can use? My TV is only 5 years old so I'm surprised I'm having this much trouble setting it up

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There are a lot of threads in the Home Theater area of this forum that cover this. I don't use one myself, but there are many who seem to recommend a Monoprice device that takes an HDMI input and extracts an optical audio output. You can find others similar on Amazon, I think if you search for HDMI switch or something like that.
Sweet. Thanks Bruce. Just boggles me that I dont have an input on a 5 yr old tv
Heh. Completely understand. Some companies take longer to move to "newer" technology, you happened to be caught in the crunch. When you bought the TV, there likely wasn't a compelling reason for you to even think about the issue. It just popped up now, since you're adding a Sonos device. I'd be willing to bet that Sharp had some other connection that they used for their own sound bar solution. And if so, why would they spend the extra dollar to install an optical output?

Fortunately, there's options other than purchasing an entire new TV. But as the pace of technology updates increase, there will be many more situations like this.

Good luck, and happy new year!