Question

Connecting a Beam to a Panasonic TV

• 15 December 2019
  • 5 replies

Having bought a lovely Beam from Richer Sounds a couple of weeks ago, I was hoping to connect it to my Panasonic 32” TV (TX-L32U10BA), which has two HDMI outputs and a Digital Audio Output.

I was expecting the optical converter that came in the Beam box would go from the TV digital audio output to the Beam, but that’s not working.

I’m not getting past the point where the set up process makes its request for the CEC menu, which doesn’t seem to exist on my TV.

Any suggestions would be welcome. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

When you connect the optical cable to the back of the TV, is there a red light shining out of the other end?

Hi Bruce

Thanks for your swift response!

No sign of a red light?

This is what I have.

That digital audio out port….is it TOSLink, or coax? Take the connector out :)

Let me just take some assumptions, based on perhaps imperfect previous knowledge. 

I’m betting it is the “other” kind of optical. Sonos uses the more common TOSLink (optical), which at the time it is possible Panasonic was unwilling to pay a licensing fee (purely a guess), or they thought the other optical connection would become more dominant. 

it is possible that your TV came with an adapter, something like this:

https://shop.panasonic.com/audio-and-video/audio-and-video-accessories/audio-video-cables/RP-CA2110A.html

or even

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-toslink-to-3-5mm-mini-optical-adapter-black/6225006.p?skuId=6225006&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=1153&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1268667&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0NfvBRCVARIsAO4930mh5TTxd4fxj117F_A5fXltZIrZyy40s1xqsWlSJbtWcMtOGs3MOfQaAqHgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

That would change the connection into something that you could connect to the Sonos adapter that came with the Beam.

Then you’d have to make sure all of the devices, from the TV to all sources, are set to send a Dolby Digital signal through the system.

Actually, I’ve made some good progress now.

The TV sound is now coming out of the Beam, using the Digital Output converter cable.

I’m now wrestling with the remote control pairing, which is a Virgin TiVo now controlling a TV, a Blu-Ray and the Sonos. 
Progress!