Connect Amp for surround speakers that doesn’t have to be wired to Playbar

• 19 May 2018
  • 1 reply

Like many people I have speakers wired into my ceiling of my living room. There are two speakers which are wired into a closet in a different room which is great because the components are out of sight. However are there any updates/ upgrades to the connect amp where it would not need to be wired into the same network switch as the Playbar. I currently have a Sonos connect wired to the receiver powering the speakers but like many people have commented there is 70ms delay in the audio,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

There has been no indication from Sonos that they would be making such a change.

Personal belief: in order to do something like that, they would have to release a new CONNECT:AMP that contains a 5GHZ WiFi Card in it, which would communicate with the PLAYBAR with that low latency signal. My understanding is that 5 GHz tends to be more susceptible to absorption, so is less advantageous in reaching through walls, etc, give equivalent power on the signal, which could make this kind of application problematic. I don’t think, as a guess, that the PLAYBAR’s output signal is as strong as a normal WiFi router might be, although honestly, I’ve never looked in to it.

All of that negativity aside, there is an announcement coming on June 6, which seems to be around the Home Theater aspects of The Onos system, at the least. It’s entirely possible that Sonos might announce something like you desire. My personal opinion is the chances are low, but I’ve been wrong before, and will likely be wrong again. So we will see soon. But for today, no.