Compatibility of Sonos Playbar

• 27 September 2017
  • 6 replies

Hi, I want to convince my parents to buy the Sonos Playbar for me. But my parents want to know with which products the Playbar is compatible outside the Sonos brand, because I want to build my one smart home for my flat. I found some compatibel products under https://devicebase.net/en/product/sonos-playbar-soundbar/8717755771681

However, I would be very grateful to you if you would help me with a complete list of compatible products as I have to convince my parents of the purchase.

Thank you, Bernd

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not really sure what you mean by compatible and my company internet policy won't let me open the link you posted.

If you mean what TVs and TV boxes etc are compatible then you won't find a definitive answer to that. But what we can say is that the Playbar needs an optical audio input so as a bare minimum your TV needs an optical audio out. Further, if you require more than just simulated DD5.1 then you need to ensure the TV will send DD5.1 (when the TV broadcast has it) or the TV passes DD5.1 through from an auxiliary device connected via HDMI.
Yes I am afraid that link tells you nothing except that Sonos is compatible with Sonos. Without a much clearer picture of what you are trying to achieve, we cannot help. It may be that the Playbar isn't the best solution for you - who knows? Why do you think it is what you need?
For instance, the PLAYBAR isn't terribly compatible with anything other than Sonos products, but if you then add a CONNECT or CONNECT: AMP, it becomes compatible with pretty much any audio product that has an audio input, since both of those Sonos devices have an analog output.
Parents asking a compatibility question and you not having the answer is an unusual combination on both sides. In addition to this next level issue, first research what TV audio formats playbar is not compatible with because this has caused first level hiccups I often read about here - things like DTS, Atmos and the like.
Thanks Stuart_W, John B, Airgetlam and Kumar for your help. Now I have a basis to talk with my parents. 🙂
Thanks Stuart_W, John B, Airgetlam and Kumar for your help. Now I have a basis to talk with my parents. :)I am not sure you do, but good luck!