Answered

Cannot get 5.1 Dolby to work via HDMI ARC from Xbox One X via Samsung tv to sonos beam

• 10 December 2018
  • 2 replies

I have an ingoing issue what I cannot find a solution to online.

I cannot get 5.1 Dolby sound to work only stereo when I use my Xbox One X and using a sonos beam for sound via my Samsung TV (QE55Q8FNATXXU). This works fine in 5.1 dolby on apps on the actual tv but not via my external device xbox one x on passthrough. (HDMI) I have my sonos beam connected via HDMI ARC on the TV on the correct port.

The option to select anything but PCM in the TV's sound settings is greyed out. and the settings to change from stereo to 5.1 or bitstream will also not work/select on my xbox, only stereo uncompressed is working.

For such an expensive TV and great brand like Sonos I expected no problems like this.

Hope someone can help it's driving me nuts.
icon

Best answer by controlav 13 December 2018, 15:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Usually this happens when using optical output, due to Samsung misunderstanding the HDCP specification and can be fixed by using a device such as https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SH3CL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However i don't recall seeing this problem reported with ARC, so maybe it is something else.
It's a strange one. I've tried another product (thinking it was a passthrough problem with my tv) but it sends 5.1 to my Sonos Beam via the tv no problems. It's a problem with the xbox settings or a compatibility problem? Playing blu rays in stereo after hearing dolby on my Sonos sucks.