Answered

Can the same two play 3s be both a stereo pair and surround speakers?

• 17 September 2017
  • 6 replies

I have both a Project turntable and a Samsung smart tv connected into a playbar via a optical audio switch. Have to manually turn the switch, but it works well. Also have a sub paired with playbar for TV. Can I add two play 3s as both the surrounds for TV AND a stereo pair for the turntable?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 September 2017, 20:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Well, yes and no.

You can bond and unbond the pair so that they can be used in both situations. It's a lot of clicking in the app every time, honestly, and not terribly convenient, especially if you want to run TruePlay every time you swap it around. Most of us have left them bonded to the PLAYBAR and gone in to settings and set it up for "Full" music playback, so that they act as regular stereo speakers in conjunction with the PLAYBAR. You can find it under settings>room settings>surrounds>music playback Note that in this same area you can control the volume level for both TV and Music purposes.
Thanks so much for your help.
Does that mean they operate as front left and right for TV (not as rears left and right as part of a 5.1?) That would be fine.

My tv and playbar are wall mounted, my turntable is directly underneath on a low wide tv appliance cabinet.
Do i just put the Play 3 pair on either side of this low cabinet and set up as you describe? Thus about 2.5 metres apart centered on TV

Currently have sub in one of those spots
Can a play three be immediately in front of the sub or do i need to move that sub well away somewhere??

Thanks again
No, unfortunately not. The PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE contain center, left and right. Sonos does not provide a way to split that out, so the PLAY: 3s would be the rear surrounds, and a stereo pair when playing music. I'd place the speakers in the normal position for TV listening.
ok thx, your a great help
So i set them up as rear surrounds and they are the stereo pair for turntable in that position which is fine

But?
1 if I configure as you said they dont act as genuine 5.1 rears? probably ok - I could do the fiddling you described for the odd dedicated movie night
2 as they are the stereo pair for turntable, would they perform as a stereo pair for streamed itunes music as well (which is most of my music listening)

cheers
Badge
They should act as genuine 5.1 rears with audio input via optical and full stereo when streaming going by Airgetlam's suggestion.
ok thx a lot