Can't add my Play 1 as surround speakers to Playbase

Hi forum,

Currently got a big issue that is driving me nuts!

I recently moved to a new apartment, but in my old apartment i brought the Playbase and two Play 1 for surround sound, it did just work out of the box, "Click - Click - Click" and it worked without any problems :)

As said i moved to a new apartment, then i sat up the Sonos again, but configured the Play 1 to be their own speaker, becuase i wanted to mount them on the wall..

But then they could be used until i figured out which wallmount etc .. :)

Now when i got the wallmount and got them mounted on the wall, i can't get add them to my Playbase as surround speaker :/

It keeps gives me an error "Surround setup error"..

So i have tried alot!

Factory resetting both the Play 1's not working,
Factory resetting the Playbase not working,
Tried to connect the speakers to my Sonos via ethernet and then unplug them not working,
Tried to turn off power to the two Play 3 i got, so it was only the Play 1 and Playbase, not working,

The Play 1 works great when they aint in "surround mode" but when they get added to the Playbase, it gives me the "Surround setup error" and then they look like they are "connected" but they do not play anything.

I have send the diagnostic, 992124624

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi forum,

I recently moved to a new apartment, but in my old apartment i brought the Playbase and two Play 1 for surround sound, it did just work out of the box, "Click - Click - Click" and it worked without any problems :)

As said i moved to a new apartment, then i sat up the Sonos again, but configured the Play 1 to be their own speaker, becuase i wanted to mount them on the wall..

Now when i got the wallmount and got them mounted on the wall, i can't get add them to my Playbase as surround speaker :/

So i have tried alot!

Tried to connect the speakers to my Sonos via ethernet and then unplug them not working,
Tried to turn off power to the two Play 3 i got, so it was only the Play 1 and Playbase, not working,

The Play 1 works great when they aint in "surround mode" but when they get added to the Playbase, it gives me the "Surround setup error" and then they look like they are "connected" but they do not play anything.

Hi AndersBrohus,

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. It looks like there may be an issue with the wireless card on your PLAYBASE. Your PLAY:1s are connecting to your home network, but can't connect to your PLAYBASE's wireless, which is needed in order to get the surround setup going. It would be best to work with our phone team on a resolution for this. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number and hours here.
Userlevel 2
Playbase has a wireless card problem, as does mine. Unfortunately, I'm just out of warranty.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Five month dead topic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Playbase has a wireless card problem, as does mine. Unfortunately, I'm just out of warranty.

Hi mark3446,

Please connect your Playbase to your network with an ethernet cable so it shows up in the Sonos app, then submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number.
I have the same setup and also having the same problem diagnostic #2073394668
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same setup and also having the same problem diagnostic #2073394668

Thanks for sending the report. It looks like there's an issue with the wireless card on your Playbase. Please reach out to our phone team who can take over from here. Our phone number and hours can be found here.
Hi forum,

So i have tried alot!

I'm having the same problem diagnostic 2073394668
I have the same setup and also having the same problem diagnostic #970096116.I can raise volyme and pause Playbase with the button on the surround , but no sound from either tv or music in the surroundspeaker(play 1:s) 🆒
I have the same setup and also having the same problem diagnostic #970096116.I can raise volyme and pause Playbase with the button on the surround , but no sound from either tv or music in the surroundspeaker(play 1:s) 🆒

For music, you can go into the room settings and change the surrounds to FULL stereo. For tv, are you sure that the source content is played in dolby digital and not PCM stereo?

The article below talks about these point and other troubleshooting steps.
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3335?language=en_US
Its already in full stereo for music, and tvsound is always in the back but simmilar to Playbase if its not dolby... It did work for a couple of months ago but now when I tried to make my play 1 to surrounds, its the same problem as Andersbrohus.
Thanks anyway! ?