Answered

Can LG CX OLED pass through multichannel PCM to Sonos Arc?

• 2 January 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

Just joined the Sonos community. My system is Arc + 2 x One SLs + Sub (Gen 3). Love the sound!

For HT, I have a Sony ubp-x800m2 UltraHD player → LG 65 inch CX OLED TV (2020 model). The LG is connected to the Arc via HDMI 2 (the eArc port).

My issue seems to be a common one - trying to get DTS tracks converted to multichannel PCM for the Sonos Arc.

For testing, I’m using the Die Hard UltraHD blu-ray which has English DTS-HD MA.

Settings

Sony

Digital Audio Out: PCM (rather than bitstream)

LG

eArc: ON

HDMI Audio Input: Bitstream

Digital Audio Output: Pass Through

Using the above settings, I get no sound. The Sony says its output is LPCM 5.1, but the Sonos app says Silence. When I switch Digital Audio Output to Auto, I get sound, but the Sony (and Sonos) now says LPCM 2.0 / stereo PCM. It’s almost as if the LG is telling the Sony to downconvert to LPCM 2.0 from 5.1 when using Auto.

Anyone have any suggestions? I’ve read elsewhere that some people, using consoles like Xbox, have been able to get multichannel PCM passed through.

Is it officially confirmed that the LG can pass through multichannel PCM or is it waiting for a firmware update? Similar to how the 2019 models like the C9 received an update a few months ago.

Even more confusing is I chatted with an agent from LG and he said the LG can pass through multichannel PCM, but wouldn’t show me a link or documentation that says so. Then he says a new firmware update will fix my issues, but no ETA when I asked.

Thank you in advance!

Joe

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 2 January 2021, 18:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

On the Sony, have you set Secondary Audio and DTS Neo:6 to Off?

LG TVs are known to have problems passing through multichannel PCM. You can either wait for a firmware update or get the HD Fury Arcana that will allow the Sony to bypass your TV and play audio directly to the Arc.

Userlevel 1
Badge

On the Sony, have you set Secondary Audio and DTS Neo:6 to Off?

LG TVs are known to have problems passing through multichannel PCM. You can either wait for a firmware update or get the HD Fury Arcana that will allow the Sony to bypass your TV and play audio directly to the Arc.

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, I have those both set to Off on the Sony.

It sounds like the LG can pass through multichannel PCM, but has trouble with certain brands/sources? I think there was a thread that said the PS4 or PS5 → LG could pass through multichannel PCM. Hmmm, strange.

Userlevel 1
Badge

One other thing: I’m using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable from LG to Sonos Arc. For Sony to LG, I have an 18Gbps HDMI cable.

Is the Sonos-supplied cable also 18Gbps?

I was thinking of trying a HDMI 2.1 (48Gbps) cable, at least from Sony to LG. Or maybe both :sunglasses:

We have pretty much the same set up. Though I have the C9 which supports DTS. The CX does not.

2.0 PCM is all you will get using the x800m2.  It is a pain finding for a UHD player (under 500$) that supports both Dolby vision and DTS to DD conversion. The Oppo 203 is your best bet. I would have recommended the Panasonic dp-820 but some users on here are also having issues with the DTS conversion, and the Xbox’s do not support Dolby Vision.

The LG can pass through LPCM, just not DTS as the Sony does not change the format. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

We have pretty much the same set up. Though I have the C9 which supports DTS. The CX does not.

2.0 PCM is all you will get using the x800m2.  It is a pain finding for a UHD player (under 500$) that supports both Dolby vision and DTS to DD conversion. The Oppo 203 is your best bet. I would have recommended the Panasonic dp-820 but some users on here are also having issues with the DTS conversion, and the Xbox’s do not support Dolby Vision.

The LG can pass through LPCM, just not DTS as the Sony does not change the format. 

Thanks!

The odd thing is when I press “Display” for the Sony, it says the HDMI is outputting 4k/24p for video and LPCM 5.1 for audio, but I get Silence on the Sonos Arc. This is with the LG’s Digital Audio Output using Pass Through.

So, it seems like the Sony is outputting multichannel PCM (emphasis on “seems”). I get Sound when I switch the LG’s Digital Audio Output to Auto, but then the Sony (and Arc) displays LPCM 2.0.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I have an LG CX and Oppo 203 and can pass LPCM, only difference is I have my 203 set to bitstream.

The sonos reports multichannel pcm 7.1, which I believe is a issue/bug as I think it should say 5.1.

Seems to be a minefield on what devices work or not!

Userlevel 7

The Sony is outputting 5.1 PCM. Your LG TV just can’t pass through what the Sony is sending it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah, definitely odd that some devices seem to work with the LG (I saw a thread saying the PS4) and others don’t (Sony ubp-x800m2). Especially since both these products are from Sony!

Userlevel 1
Badge

An update for those who have a similar system…

As I mention in the following thread (page 6):

I tried the “unplug power from CX” method and it worked to pass LPCM from CX to Arc. Hope it works for you!

Cheers!