Can I use Sonos Arc with HTPC and projector with two HDMI connections?

• 10 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello

I am considering purchase of Sonos Arc but need to make sure it will work with my setup.

Currently I use a projector with HDMI connection and an optical spdif to an Onkyo 7.1 system

I am wanting to go to a soundbar solution and looking at Sonos Arc.

Can I connect direct with HDMI to my PC using AMD High Definition Audio with Atmos?

I use Blu-ray,  Netflix and Amazon prime as sources.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mocher72 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The Arc HDMI connection must be connected to a TV, normally, as source devices (like your PC) put the audio on different wires in the HDMI cable - the Arc needs the audio to be placed on the HDMI-ARC/eARC channel.

Most projectors do not support HDMI-ARC, so you may need to get a device to separate the audio from the HDMI connection before it reaches the projector and hand it to the Arc over an eARC connection (eARC has a higher bandwidth than HDMI-ARC for Atmos sound).

I recommend you carefully check the specifications of your projector. If you’re unsure, let the community know the make and model of your projector - I’m sure they’ll assist.

Check out the HDFury Arcana. It extracts audio from a normal HDMI feed and offers an eARC port for Arc to connect to.