can i use chromecast audio via optical into Sonos ARC?

• 10 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi

i would like to connect my Google chromecast audio into the optical port of the Sonos ARC.

will this work?

thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The Arc does not have an optical port per say, it has an HDMI-ARC port only.  However, it does come with an adapter to convert optical to HDM-ARC essentially.  If you already have an Arc and a TV though, I would recommend getting a streaming box that is chromecast capable, and running thre audio through there, rather than having to disconnect your Arc from the TV, and plug in this device every time you want to use it.

What content/sources do you want to play by this method, and using what device?  I can’t think of too many audio sources for which there wouldn’t be a better approach.  But I could well be missing something.

What content/sources do you want to play by this method, and using what device?  I can’t think of too many audio sources for which there wouldn’t be a better approach.  But I could well be missing something.

I would like to connect the chromecast audio to the Sonos via optical to use it as a high res streamer endpoint that’s Roon Ready.

I know Sonos can be seen as and endpoint for Roon but it’s a lower res that Chromecast audio…

I would like to connect the chromecast audio to the Sonos via optical to use it as a high res streamer endpoint that’s Roon Ready.

I know Sonos can be seen as and endpoint for Roon but it’s a lower res that Chromecast audio…

If you end up playing through a Sonos speaker I don’t think you will get any improvement in audio quality.