Can I connect my Apple TV and gaming systems to a AV receiver and Sonos Beam to my TV’s eARC?

• 25 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

I have a LG C1 OLED TV with a Sonos Beam, Sub, and two Plays for my rear audio. My Beam is connected to my LG’s eARC for audio. I also have a very heavy gaming set-up that includes a PS5, Xbox Series X, Gaming PC, Nitendo Switch, and an Apple TV.

I want to take advantage of 4K 120hz gaming, but also keep my Dolby Atmos for my Apple TV and gaming when available. I don’t have enough HDMI inputs on my TV to hook everything up. Would a AV receiver like the Onkyo NR-6100 work if I used that to just hook all my gaming systems and Apple TV into it and then connect that one of the TV’s HDMI 2.1 ports and keep the Sonos Beam connnected to the TV’s eARC or would there be audio pass through issues with that? If that wouldn’t work is there any HDMI 2.1 switches that anyone can recommend?

4 replies

Seems like the cost of a receiver to be used merely as an HDMI switch would be much more expensive than an HDMI switch. Have you searched Amazon, or even done a simple Google search for one?

Badge

Yes, the cheaper HDMI 2.1 switches on Amazon seem to have mixed reviews and the more high end ones on home theater sites are in the same price range as a AV receiver.

Badge

Seems like the HD Fury 8K VRROOM might work for what I’m try to do. Not cheap, but cheaper than a AV receiver and would work with my existing Sonos set-up.

I use an HD Fury Arcana, and it’s worked like a champ for over a year, but it isn’t a switch.