bypass tv tv for audio

• 12 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi all , I'm still having an audio issue that I've posted about on the community , I just wanted to ask , I want to bypass my TV for the audio , so I currently have ....

sky+ hd box to TV via HDMI 

Optical from sky+ HD box to beam 

TV speakers on zero volume 

I take it that even though the sky box is connected via HDMI the beam is now not connected to the TV because it's connected via optical to the sky box ? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

The correct way to set up the Beam is to connect it directly to your TV’s HDMI ARC or optical port. Is there a reason why you want to connect the Beam directly to the Sky box?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

The correct way to set up the Beam is to connect it directly to your TV’s HDMI ARC or optical port. Is there a reason why you want to connect the Beam directly to the Sky box?

Hi , thanks for your reply , I think I have a problem with my TV because when the beam is connected via TV arc or optical I'm getting audio stutter after a few days , then it happens a few days again . So I want to experiment with bypassing the TV , if this cures the issue I'll buy a new TV and connect it back via arc . 

Assuming that the SKY box will simultaneously send audio through it’s optical connection and HDMI video, your scheme will work. It’s possible that there will be some new lip sync issues, but this would be an easy way to investigate TV involvement with the audio issues. Note that you could have false results if the SKY box is messing with HDMI audio, not optical audio.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Assuming that the SKY box will simultaneously send audio through it’s optical connection and HDMI video, your scheme will work. It’s possible that there will be some new lip sync issues, but this would be an easy way to investigate TV involvement with the audio issues. Note that you could have false results if the SKY box is messing with HDMI audio, not optical audio.

Thanks , yes the sky box is sending audio via optical and hdmi , I've now put the TV audio setting to optical so there is no sound coming from the TV via HDMI , only audio I have now to the beam is via optical from sky box , I'll see how this goes , if my issue doesn't arise then I'll be 99% sure it's the TV , like I put in the opening post , a guy on the  Samsung community had same issue with his Samsung TV and sound bar , unfortunately he just bought another TV and didn't try and investigate it , him buying another TV fixed his issue but I'm not buying a TV unless I know 99% it's that .