Answered

Brand new Sonos Arc build quality issue

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Just got it from Sonos Online Store last Friday. 
I am very happy with it, but when repositioning it before running TruePlay, I noticed that while grabbing it, I could hear a somewhat loud creaking noise in the left part of it. 
Found out that the seam on the bottom of the Arc is not flush but rubbing, causing the creaking.

Already arranged an advance replacement with Sonos, but I wonder how common are these kind of issues.

One other doubt: does anyone of you used the advance replacement? Is the replacement unit a new, retail unit? Sonos representative said so. 
Thank you in advance for your input. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 4 April 2022, 09:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @marinheira 

Thanks for your post!

Already arranged an advance replacement with Sonos, but I wonder how common are these kind of issues.

Well, not very. Every manufacturing process has points at which things can go wrong, however. We will of course replace any unit that has come from the factory in a less-than-perfect condition.

One other doubt: does anyone of you used the advance replacement? Is the replacement unit a new, retail unit? Sonos representative said so. 
Thank you in advance for your input. 

If you’ve only just bought your unit, then we will replace it with brand-new “A” stock.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi, @Corry P.

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve bought the Arc last Thursday and received it on Friday, so it was bought 3 days ago.

Any idea about how quick the replacement should be shipped? Will I be able to track the process on Sonos website, on Orders?

I’ve chosen the Advance Replacement so I would not be left without m Arc, but aside from verifying the CC for a possible charge, the total amount for a new Arc was reserved, so I actually “paid” for a new one, and I’m being “refunded” when the faulty one arrives (even though the money never leaves my bank).

I wonder if is there any chance of speeding up the release of this reserve as soon as Sonos is able to check via UPS system that the faulty unit was collected…

Having extra €999,00 reserved from my CC is harsh, when I have no responsibilities over manufacturing issues.

Aside from this, I am overwhelmed with the overall purchasing experience from Sonos, with the unboxing and setup experience, and with the quality of the products and the seamless usability of the whole ecosystem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @marinheira 

Your replacement isn’t an order so it cannot be tracked on the Orders section of our website, but as soon as it is dispatched you’ll receive tracking details via email. We keep stock in reserve for replacements, so it’s unlikely you’ll need to wait for stock to arrive. It really shouldn’t take long at all.

A standard replacement would not result in a reserve placed on your bank card. Sadly, we have to protect ourselves from fraud - especially for the big-ticket items - so are unable to process a standard replacement until the original unit has arrived at our warehouse. As you have picked the Advanced Replacement option, however, we are not waiting either for the unit to arrive, or for you to post it. You’ll probably get a tracking email very soon.

I glad to hear you have found the rest of your first experience with Sonos to be a good one!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi again, @Corry P.

Sonos just got a new evangelist, believe me :)

I wish I made this decision way before.

Regarding shipping of the new unit, any chance of getting it done today?

My doubt about the advance replacement is regarding the possibility of speeding up the cancellation of the full price for the new Arc as soon as Sonos is able to check the faulty have been collected from me as opposed to having to wait for it to get to Sonos warehouse.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @marinheira 

Sonos just got a new evangelist, believe me :)

I wish I made this decision way before.

Great! Remember that if you have any questions about how to use your new system, or have any problems, our incredibly helpful Community (and our technical support department) are waiting to help.

I’ve even written an introductory guide to the Sonos App that you may find helpful:

The Sonos Apps - An Introduction

Regarding shipping of the new unit, any chance of getting it done today?

My doubt about the advance replacement is regarding the possibility of speeding up the cancellation of the full price for the new Arc as soon as Sonos is able to check the faulty have been collected from me as opposed to having to wait for it to get to Sonos warehouse.

As the return was only processed 11 hours ago, it will take a little while longer - but it’s entirely possible that it will be processed today. I don’t have access to the Returns queue so I can’t give you a definite date, unfortunately.

The cancellation of the reserve on your bank card will take up to 4 days after we receive the unit at our warehouse, as per the email you received:

Dear Sonos Customer,

Your Sonos product exchange has been set up as an Advance Replacement.

Here is what you can expect:

1. RECEIVE YOUR REPLACEMENT

Your replacement product will arrive within 5 business days.

2. PREPARE YOUR SHIPMENT

YOU WILL NEED TO RETURN THE DEFECTIVE PRODUCT ALONG WITH THE SONOS POWER CORD OR DOCK. Please use original Sonos packaging or packaging of equivalent protection. Sonos will not be responsible for any damage incurred while in transit.

The defective product must be returned within 14 days or you will receive a charge on your credit card.

Once your defective unit is returned, the authorisation will return to your bank account automatically within 4-7 working days.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where some people will send us a box with bricks in it. 😥

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Unfortunately, we live in a world where some people will send us a box with bricks in it. 😥

I hope this helps.

This is true, unfortunately.

Can’t you contact anyone with access to the returns queue?

If I can get any guarantee that the replacement ships today, I could return the faulty one right today, so I can speed up CC reserve cancellation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I know the answer would be along the lines of “Your replacement product will arrive within 5 business days”. Any time someone asks the Returns team to report on a specific case, all we’re really doing is slowing them down in order to get an answer we already had. Although I can’t guarantee it, I don’t see why it won’t be processed today. Bear in mind that regardless of what time it is processed at, the courier is going to pick it up in the late afternoon.

If I can get any guarantee that the replacement ships today, I could return the faulty one right today, so I can speed up CC reserve cancellation.

The majority of the “up to business 5 days” you will need to wait is just for shipping - once you get the email with the tracking details, you know it’s on it’s way and you can then send the unit you have to reduce the time the reserve amount is on your bank card.

That will of course mean that you will go without an Arc for that period, just like with a Standard replacement which would not have resulted in a reserve being placed on your card. The Advanced Replacement option is for avoiding this very  circumstance.

Please also bear in mind that the reserve on your card is just that - a reserve. It doesn’t count as balance, and you will not be charged interest on it. As long as you don’t actually send us bricks, no money will actually come off your bank card. 😉

It’s a nasty world. A while back I worked in a retail store near a not so great area of town and we would occasionally be victimized by “snatch and go” operators who would grab something near the entrance and run. We kept a few “factory sealed” boxes of bricks near the door. I can’t imagine the outcome when these “sealed” units were sold on the street. (This was before the Internet and eBay existed)

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I know the answer would be along the lines of “Your replacement product will arrive within 5 business days”. Any time someone asks the Returns team to report on a specific case, all we’re really doing is slowing them down in order to get an answer we already had. Although I can’t guarantee it, I don’t see why it won’t be processed today. Bear in mind that regardless of what time it is processed at, the courier is going to pick it up in the late afternoon.

The majority of the “up to business 5 days” you will need to wait is just for shipping - once you get the email with the tracking details, you know it’s on it’s way and you can then send the unit you have to reduce the time the reserve amount is on your bank card.

That will of course mean that you will go without an Arc for that period, just like with a Standard replacement which would not have resulted in a reserve being placed on your card. The Advanced Replacement option is for avoiding this very  circumstance.

Please also bear in mind that the reserve on your card is just that - a reserve. It doesn’t count as balance, and you will not be charged interest on it. As long as you don’t actually send us bricks, no money will actually come off your bank card. 😉

I wouldn’t definitely do that!

My question of the reserve cancellation as to do with the simple fact that although being a reserve, it impacts my available balance, that’s all.

I’ll wait for that shipping notification email.

About the Arc that will be shipped, you’re positive it’s a new, scaled retail unit, right?

I would be terribly disappointed to receive a refurbished unit in replacement of a brand new Arc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @marinheira 

Balance - I never thought of that. It sounds like a Standard Replacement might have suited you better.

If you only bought your Arc 3 days ago, then you will definitely get “A stock” in return.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yes, invoice date is N*march, 31st.

“A stock” return means retail units sealed in box?

Thanks for your help, @Corry P 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

“A stock” return means retail units sealed in box?

Exactly, yes.

Thanks for your help, @Corry P 

You are very welcome!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Corry P is there any particular department I may check to get an update on the replacement process?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @marinheira 

Your replacement is Awaiting Dispatch, which is to say it’s boxed, labelled and waiting for the courier to pick it up. When they do so, they’ll scan the label and at that point you’ll automatically be sent the tracking email. I don’t see why this wouldn’t happen by the end of business today.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

It does, indeed. 

Thank you, @Corry P 

It’s a nasty world. A while back I worked in a retail store near a not so great area of town and we would occasionally be victimized by “snatch and go” operators who would grab something near the entrance and run. We kept a few “factory sealed” boxes of bricks near the door. I can’t imagine the outcome when these “sealed” units were sold on the street. (This was before the Internet and eBay existed)

There is also the scalpers who will buy up large quantities of hard to find items to resale as new above MSRP.  If they don’t manage to sell all the items, they just return the item to the retail store at no cost to them. It’s why some people get banned from stores, blacklisted for returns, and some places won’t put the latest and greatest out on the shelf….you have to ask to see the merchandise.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Corry P any chance of getting the order number for the replacement unit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @marinheira 

Not here - I’ll send it in a private message.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @marinheira 

Not here - I’ll send it in a private message.

Great. Already sent it, @Corry P ?