Bluetooth adapter for video projector

• 21 June 2021
  • 5 replies

I use a video projector which I wire to a Play 5 to connect to the Sonos App, allowing me to link to any other speaker I may want to use with the video.  However, the Play 5 is bulky and I’d like to try something that may be more user friendly.

I’ve read about the 12 South Air Fly bluetooth transmitter - I read that it will link the attached device to a pair of Apple Air Pods, so I suspect it will also link to an iPhone or iPad.  

Does anyone have experience using the 12 South Air Fly device to link either directly (or indirectly through another device)  to a Sonos speaker that has bluetooth connectivity (Move or Roam)?

Thanks,

Bill

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +17

Hi @bilsep2,

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with that kind of set up, but by me replying to this it’ll bump your post up to the top, so you can hopefully get some more eyes on it and someone that has tried this for themselves. :slight_smile:

I don’t have experience with that particular BT transmitter, but I suspect it’s just as good as all the other options out there.  There are also BT receivers available.  So one option is to use a transmitter to get audio out of your projector and the receiver to bring that audio into your play:5.  You would not need to get a device with BT receiving capability already built in, like a Move or Roam.

However, you mentioned iphone/iPad...is this your source of audio and video? Phones and tablets have a BT transmitter built in (that’s how they work with your airpods… a BT receiver), so I don’t see why you would need a separate transmitter like air fly.  Also, iphones and ipads can send audio vis Airplay, which your play:5 should be able to receive.  You wouldn’t need to use bluetooth at all.

I think can only link the audio from the projector to the Play 5 with a wire.  And my goal is to not have to move the bulky Play 5 outdoors whenever I want to set up the projector.  

Yes, the source of the audio and video going to the projector is either an iPhone or iPad that it wired to it with a lightning cable.  Will that connection, once made, also allow the iphone or iPad to transmit the audio to Sonos?  If so, problem solved. 

I think can only link the audio from the projector to the Play 5 with a wire.  And my goal is to not have to move the bulky Play 5 outdoors whenever I want to set up the projector.  

Yes, the source of the audio and video going to the projector is either an iPhone or iPad that it wired to it with a lightning cable.  Will that connection, once made, also allow the iphone or iPad to transmit the audio to Sonos?  If so, problem solved. 

I believe so, but I’m not an Apple user.  Someone else would need to chime in to confirm this, or you could test it out yourself.

Problem solved.  

I don’t need a Bluetooth transmitter.  The iPhone, when wired to send video and audio to the projector, can simultaneously link to Sonos via WiFi or Bluetooth to send audio, overriding the wired audio link to the projector.  

So, all is now good in my limited view of the world.