Question

Best Universal Remote

• 21 November 2018
  • 4 replies

What remote is most compatible with my setup?
I am about to purchase a Beam and 2 Play:1s for our family room.

Ideally, I would like to use voice commands to turn the TV on/off, change channels, switch from UVerse to Netflix, pull up UVerse Guide, recordings, etc. I suspect Alexa won't be able to handle all of that so am looking for a single/universal remote to perform these functions, preferably without IR emitters running everywhere.

My desired setup:

On the wall
Samsung QN75Q6FNAFXZA (HDMI connection to DVR)
Sonos Beam ( HDMI ARC connection to TV)

Closed Cabinet
Uverse DVR IPH8010 (hardwired ethernet connection / HDMI to TV)
Roku 4620X (data connection is wifi / HDMI connection to TV)

Couch
Sonos Play:1's (wifi)

Is there a remote that works well without having to run IR emitters to every component? Does it play nice with Sonos? The DVR and Streaming Device will always be behind closed doors. I am open to buying firetvcube or fire stick if this helps.

I would appreciate knowing how others have handled this.

Thanks!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
I am also curious about the best remote. I have a similar setup with a Beam, Sub and two Sonos Ones however I have a Fire Edition TV which handles most of the voice control through Alexa. Is a Logitech Harmony remote the best bet?
I use Harmony remotes in two rooms, without any issues. I'm fond of their versatility and programming ability. Both of mine use the "puck" system.
I am the OP and ended up buying a CAAVO for $65 on Black Friday. I also bought a Logitech Elite as a backup at 3x the price of CAAVO. After using CAAVo for three weeks I returned the Logitech unopened.

There was a learning curve with CAAVO and it did not work well with our UVerse until Support suggested I switch to the third IR setting. Once that was solved, it has been just what I wanted, closed cabinet control with voice control. I have skipped Alexa altogether if remote is Handy as it has voice control built in.

The CAAVO is a product recent relaunch so you may have bugs to work out. In my case, tech support was very responsive and helpful. I believe that they want the product to work flawlessly.

I hope that is helpful.
Badge +1
I also use harmony elite works well with IFTTT and stringify for home automation with lights, thermostat, TV etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Elite-Remote-Control-Blue/dp/B014GXQOJ2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546178446&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=logitech+harmony+elite&dpPl=1&dpID=41jtr1vD4uL&ref=plSrch

Picked on up for £119 on Boxing Day deal