Answered

Benq Projector and ARC TV remote

• 22 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi all

Im having trouble getting my Sonos ARC to learn the IR signal from Benq projector remote for volume control.  It will learn it when the projector is switched off and can be used to control music etc but as soon as the projector is switched on the signal appears to be blocked by the remote as small block sign appears on screen. Ive tried everything but no luck.  It would be great if I could control the ARC volume with the projector remote when I am playing movies/TV etc.  It is connected via HDMI eARC an CEC is switched on.  Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 June 2021, 09:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aledger1 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If your projector has HDMI-ARC and CEC, then you shouldn’t need to have to program the remote at all (unless you want to control music volume when projector is off, like you mentioned) - all volume commands should go through the HDMI cable to the Arc. I can only presume that the projector is showing the block sign because it feels it has no control over the audio (audio passthrough to the Arc is used). Additionally, when CEC is active, the Arc will ignore IR commands.

I can only recommend you check your audio settings on the projector. If you can find something that says passthrough, try the other options. Feel free to post a photo of the settings here if you’re not sure which ones might help, or report the model number here so we can look up manuals for you.

Hi Corry

I cant see a setting on the projector that says passthrough.  The model is Benq TK700sti.  All of the settings are disabled in the projector when the HDMI to ARC is connected.  

Thanks

Andrew

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aledger1 

Your manual, which I found here:

https://esupportdownload.benq.com/esupport/PROJECTOR/UserManual/TK700STi/TK700STi_UM_EN_210202095510.pdf

only mentions CEC in regards to power control. I recommend you get in touch with Benq customer support and find out if the projector will pass remote-control functions (specifically volume) over CEC. If it does not, then the Arc will only react to the IR commands when the projector is off. Other projectors may have optical output (yours does not), which is what you’d need to stop the Arc from ignoring IR when the projector is on. You could get a (unsupported, but so is the projector) HDMI adaptor that strips the audio from the source and gives it to the Arc via optical connection before the projector gets the signal.

If the projector does pass volume commands over CEC, I can only suggest rebooting both the projector and the Arc.

As the Arc will always ignore IR commands when CEC is connected, you might be able to get things working by disabling CEC on the projector. I suspect doing this will stop the audio from working, however, but it’s worth a try.

The best alternative may be to use voice commands to adjust the volume on the Arc so you don’t need to get your phone out each time.

I hope this helps.