Beam with Projector

• 19 July 2018
  • 7 replies

So I bought the Beam and have paired it with 2x Play1's in my lounge. I am pretty impressed, though due to layout of my lounge, I cant get the perfect sweet spot for the surrounds.

I have a converted garage with a Projector that I use for Movies and Sports. I have a 5.1 set-up in here with an Onkyo receiver (with Cambridge Audio Minx 22/12's for the surround). As my Optoma projector does have ARC, I am actually contemplating selling this and getting another Beam for this room (and just using the 2x Play 1's in here). I wont have the sub (so I will lose out on a bit of bass from current system), but I think this would be a good set-up? Room size is about 16ftx10ft width, Thoughts??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Did you ever try the Beam with the projector? I too have an Optoma and was wanting to get it working with the Beam.
I did. No joy. Had it set up the same way as i did with my lounge tv and nothing. Showing as no signal in hdmi 1 (usually if you go on the arc channel, it has some black and white Sonos artwork) and the picture on hdmi 2 was without sound. Disapointing but not sure of a fix if it is not showing up at all? Obviously could still play music through phone etc
I did. No joy. Had it set up the same way as i did with my lounge tv and nothing. Showing as no signal in hdmi 1 (usually if you go on the arc channel, it has some black and white Sonos artwork) and the picture on hdmi 2 was without sound. Disapointing but not sure of a fix if it is not showing up at all? Obviously could still play music through phone etc

Did you go through the TV setup in the Sonos app again? You'd also want to make sure the projector's CEC was turned on.

I noticed that when I was troubleshooting using the Beam with my projector, that it said if you don't have ARC, you have to use the dongle adapter provided in the Beam box. It is a male optical to female HDMI. My Optoma doesn't have ARC and only a 3.5 mm jack for audio out. It's an HD27. I am going to try and run this setup using the Jtech HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter which is coming in the mail tomorrow.

I'm going to run HDMI video from the projector to the extractor and then use the provided dongle to convert the extracted audio from optical to HDMI and into the Beam. I will be plugging a Firestick TV into the extractor also for video. I'll report back what happens.
It worked! If anyone wants to know anything, let me know
Sounds intersting. So do you only have one hdmi running from projector to splitter and then another hdmi to source from splitter ie sky box, amazon etc. Do you still get Dolby Digital, as i use my 1's as rears in my lounge. Also any sound delay or lip sync issues?
My setup is a FireStick TV going to the HDMI in of the extractor, which extracts audio which comes out optical and video which comes out HDMI. The video out from the extractor goes to the projector HDMI and the optical audio gets converted to HDMI via Sonos' provided optical to HDMI dongle that comes with the Beam. How would I test if I still get Dolby Digital? All I have is a Beam and no other speakers. The extractor has a 2 channel and 5.1 option that you can select with a switch.

Also if there is delay, it is imperceptible by me.