Question

Beam surround (w/ ones) not working properly with 2019 TCL 6 Series w/ roku

• 27 December 2019
  • 10 replies

• Contributor I
  • 4 replies

I’m experiencing a problem where the surround sound works only partially.

I have the beam and two play ones as my surrounds on my 2019 TCL ROKU 6 Series (plugged in thru the ARC). Using the built in apps on my TV, the surround works on Disney+, Amazon Prime, and the Dolby Channel, as well as my local antenna. However, audio from Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, ESPN, YouTube, Showtime, and more seem to be stuck in stereo and will ONLY play on the beam itself. Is this caused by the lack of support for Dolby Digital+ and is there a way around this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

As I said in the other thread, looks like your TV is implementing HDCP incorrectly, which is unusual for a 2019 model (not not uncommon for 3-4yr old TVs). You will likely need to use EDID emulators on every external input, to force the TV to accept a DD 5.1 signal from them.

As I said in the other thread, looks like your TV is implementing HDCP incorrectly, which is unusual for a 2019 model (not not uncommon for 3-4yr old TVs). You will likely need to use EDID emulators on every external input, to force the TV to accept a DD 5.1 signal from them.

Hi controlav, 

I’m definitely challenged in this area. Could you explain how having these EDID emulators plugged into all the HDMI ports would force the Beam + One’s to accept a 5.1 signal from the built in apps?

Additionally, would these do the job https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XSY9THQ/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_AcRbEbKZEQQ75? And would I not be able to have any other devices plugged into the HDMI ports (Nintendo Switch, PS, Xbox, etc)?

I appreciate you answering my questions and thank you for your time! Sorry for hijacking threads, I had been searching for an answer for hours and after talking to both TCL and Sonos support, I was pretty desperate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I am confused now. I thought the built-in apps DID do 5.1 properly, which is what I would expect. I would also expect external sources to potentially have problems, and those probably require an EDID emulator if they are configured to emit DD 5.1 but the TV is only accepting Stereo.

The item you linked is not suitable, this is the one I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SH3CL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You put it in between a problem source device and the TV HDMI input. Get one, verify it works, them get as many as you need for your other source devices.

Hi controlav,

Yeah the whole thing is very perplexing to me. So the issue is that some of my TVs built in apps work perfectly with the surround sound (Disney+ and Prime Video). However most of the other built in apps (Netflix, HBO, ESPN, etc) will not work with the surround. It seems that they are only putting out stereo to the beam and not the ones (confirmed on Netflix by looking at on screen details). On Netflix's site, it says the audio is output or w/e as DD+. So I'm assuming that all of those apps that aren't working are as well. So I'm trying to understand if there is any work around to trick or convert those apps out of DD+ and into something that can be utilized by the surround. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Oh, built-in apps that only emit DD+ are dumb. What if you use Optical instead of ARC to the Beam? DD+ cannot be sent over optical, so it might force everything to be sane ie DD 5.1.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi controlav,

Yeah the whole thing is very perplexing to me. So the issue is that some of my TVs built in apps work perfectly with the surround sound (Disney+ and Prime Video). However most of the other built in apps (Netflix, HBO, ESPN, etc) will not work with the surround. It seems that they are only putting out stereo to the beam and not the ones (confirmed on Netflix by looking at on screen details). On Netflix's site, it says the audio is output or w/e as DD+. So I'm assuming that all of those apps that aren't working are as well. So I'm trying to understand if there is any work around to trick or convert those apps out of DD+ and into something that can be utilized by the surround. 

I have the same issue, (Beam plus two play 1s) not working from Netflix internal app in TCL R625 model. Works fine with this same setup on an older TCL R615 though. So frustrating. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Oh, built-in apps that only emit DD+ are dumb. What if you use Optical instead of ARC to the Beam? DD+ cannot be sent over optical, so it might force everything to be sane ie DD 5.1.

That is certainly an option but with a couple of caveats: you lose the ARC functionality of the sonos Beam (including voice control of TV etc) and you are effectively downgrading the audio (although this is arguably minor and most would not notice since it Dolby Digital to PCM and not from say Atmos or a higher bitrate audio source at least).

Hi jj7,

What solution did you end up with?

I’m having a similar problem.

I just got a Sonos Beam and two One SL speakers. I can’t get surround soudn to work wtih TCL Roku TV for Netflix and Hulu, but it’s working for Amazon Prime.

Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi jj7,

I just got a Sonos Beam and two One SL speakers. I can’t get surround soudn to work wtih TCL Roku TV for Netflix and Hulu, but it’s working for Amazon Prime.

Thanks

Unfortunately I never found a solution. Surrounds work with most things but not netflix. I am hoping that Sonos S2 software update in June will add more audio types (like DD+) but that is probably just wishful thinking?  Either that or a TCL update will fix it? Again, that is just me being hopeful. 

Badge

Hi jj7,

Thanks

Unfortunately I never found a solution. Surrounds work with most things but not netflix. I am hoping that Sonos S2 software update in June will add more audio types (like DD+) but that is probably just wishful thinking?  Either that or a TCL update will fix it? Again, that is just me being hopeful. 

Hi i actually buy a beam and hoping to buy a sonos sub later this year but im also thinking on buying a new TCL 6 Series to work with my sound system so… did the problem got solved? is there any update that fixes these problem?