Beam surround quality

• 10 February 2022
  • 10 replies

Badge +2

Hi Everyone!

I have two Beam immersive (surround with a beam, 2 one’s and a sub) in two different rooms.  The family room and the bedroom.   The bedroom sounds awesome.  The family room, not so much.  It has very high vaulted ceilings (probably 20ft at least) and the sound just gets lost in that space.   Should I get more one’s? another sub?  Maybe try a five??  To describe the issue, I would say it has less bass, less treble and even not enough direct sound coming from the center speaker (the beam).  I wanted to try the Arc, but it is so long, it really doesn’t fit anywhere.  Any suggestions are appreciated!

Also, the lip sync gets off a lot in that same room.

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Check the audio output settings on the TV and any source devices.  It needs to be bitstream, or Dolby Digital , or Dolby Digital+, something besides stereo or PCM. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Similar too little sound issue here in my main listening area. My solution was an Arc, the vaulted ceiling here doesn’t help the ATMOS but the overall sound is much better.

A second Sub would also likely help fill that space.

Once that is done you might look at Fives for the surround channels if you are sure your Ones aren’t adequate.

Lots of mounting options for the Arc, I went with short stands to let it sit above the table mount I have here.

The now spare Beam sits on a cabinet over the toilet in the guest bath and sounds fantastic in that space, without raising spousal objections like the pair of Ones I had in there did.

Badge +2

Great ideas!  Another sub would be awesome.  5’s might be too big for the area behind us.  I know the surround with the ones is great for x-box atmos.  But not great with normal TV.  

I was originally going to buy an arc but couldn’t figure out how to mount it in here.   When you say you have stands for it, curious if you could send a pic. 

Badge +2

Also, seems like the high ceilings are the main culprit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Here: 

I’m not fond of the quality or the packing as mine came in twice missing paint and dinged. Now I’m finding the feet stick to my cabinet better than to the stands.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JCD91D1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Making your own shouldn’t be hard.

Badge +2

This is great.   My problem is the cement cubby wall is shorter than the Arc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Make a shelf to extend out past the cubby walls that will sit on your existing shelf.

Use the Sonos wall mount to put it on the front of the shelf, like it was a wall.

That will get you better stereo imaging as well as letting the Atmos work.

Look at the Arc specs and I think you’ll find mounting clearance tips and details.

Badge +2

That’s what I originally thought.  I was thinking at first about fining a way to just extend the shelf that’s already there.  Otherwise not really woodsman enough to make a shelf to match the other one. 

Userlevel 7

You might also consider paying to have the lower shelf converted to a roll-out assuming there is enough clearance L/R for the Arc in the cavity. A little pricey but it may be worth it in the long haul if you plan to stay in the same home for few years. Plus a potential buyer may see it as a plus.

Badge +2

Yeah, the arc is longer than the cavity 😞