Skip to main content
Question

Beam Suddenly has stopped working with Directv Genie remote

• 12 June 2024
  • 1 reply

I have a Beam S2 hooked via HDMI to my C3 LG OLED TV via the eArc port on the LG TV.  I have a DirecTV Genie mini hooked via HDMI to port 1 on the LG and Apple TV hooked via HDMI to port 4 on the TV.  Months ago, I programmed the DirecTV remote to work with the Beam and the LG TV.  All worked as desired with the DirecTV remote controlling the volume of the Beam directly (meaning, not changing the TV’s volume per se).  This allowed me to change channels on the DirecTV Genie as well as control volume as well as turning the TV off & on.  

Suddenly two days ago, when trying to raise the volume via the DirecTV remote, the Beam would raise it the volume to the maximum after a delay.  Trying to lower the volume using the DirecTV remote would, after a delay, slide the volume all the way off (not muted, just set all the way down).  I have tried reprogramming the remote, resetting the Beam, the TV and the Genie, trying a new DirecTV remote I happened to have, checked firmware and all that via the Sonos App on my iPad to no avail.

I have had to resort to using the LG TV’s remote to control volume, but that forces me to use the DirecTV remote to change channels, watch recorded shows and see the DirecTV guide, but then grab the LG remote to control volume.  I also used to be able to control the volume of shows watched via Apple TV with the Genie remote, but that no longer works.

Any ideas?

1 reply

I have a Beam S2 hooked via HDMI to my C3 LG OLED TV via the eArc port on the LG TV.  I have a DirecTV Genie mini hooked via HDMI to port 1 on the LG and Apple TV hooked via HDMI to port 4 on the TV.  Months ago, I programmed the DirecTV remote to work with the Beam and the LG TV.  All worked as desired with the DirecTV remote controlling the volume of the Beam directly (meaning, not changing the TV’s volume per se).  This allowed me to change channels on the DirecTV Genie as well as control volume as well as turning the TV off & on.  

Suddenly two days ago, when trying to raise the volume via the DirecTV remote, the Beam would raise it the volume to the maximum after a delay.  Trying to lower the volume using the DirecTV remote would, after a delay, slide the volume all the way off (not muted, just set all the way down).  I have tried reprogramming the remote, resetting the Beam, the TV and the Genie, trying a new DirecTV remote I happened to have, checked firmware and all that via the Sonos App on my iPad to no avail.

I have had to resort to using the LG TV’s remote to control volume, but that forces me to use the DirecTV remote to change channels, watch recorded shows and see the DirecTV guide, but then grab the LG remote to control volume.  I also used to be able to control the volume of shows watched via Apple TV with the Genie remote, but that no longer works. Obamacare

Any ideas?

Hello,

I understand how frustrating it can be when your audio setup suddenly stops working as expected. Let’s troubleshoot this issue with your Sonos Beam and DirecTV Genie remote. Here are some steps you can try:

Disconnect and Reconnect:
First, disconnect all HDMI cables from your TV and unplug both the Sonos Beam and the TV from power for a couple of minutes.
Then, plug everything back in, but keep all devices disconnected.
Make sure that Simplink (HDMI-CEC) is enabled in your LG TV settings.
Finally, run the TV Setup in the Sonos app and follow the app instructions.
Check Remote Settings:
Verify that the DirecTV Genie remote is still properly programmed to control the Sonos Beam.
If not, reprogram the remote following the original setup process.
Firmware Updates:
Ensure that both your Sonos Beam and LG TV have the latest firmware updates.
You can check for updates through the Sonos app and the TV settings.
Universal Remote Solution:
If the issue persists, consider using a universal remote that can handle multiple devices. This way, you can control both the DirecTV Genie and the Sonos Beam without switching remotes.
Regarding your Apple TV, it’s unfortunate that the Genie remote no longer controls its volume. You might need to use the Apple TV remote separately for volume adjustments in that case.

Hope this will help you.
Best regards,
florence023 

Moderator edit: This post may be AI generated