Question

Beam, Sub, and 4 Sonos one for surround is possible?

• 11 October 2020
  • 6 replies

• Contributor II
  • 6 replies

Hello everybody,
I would need help setting up my home theater sonos.
In the dining room I have the following products:
1 sonon beam
1 sonos sub
2 sonos One
2 sonos One SL

From the sonos app I can create a room called the dining room, in the room I can correctly add the sonos beam, then the sonos sub, but when I try to add the surround, the app only makes me choose 2 out of the four “sonos one” available ( I can choose only two of the four available, but no more than two products) making me identify the one on the left and the one on the right.

My question is:
Is it possible that there is no way to associate four sonos ones (two in front and two behind) to the surround?

I can create a group with all sonos products from the sonos app, but with the group I can only listen to music and I cannot connect the group to the TV like surround sound.

Has anyone ever created a surround system by adding four “sonos one” ?
If it isn’t possible, I think I'll have to return the last two sonos one sl.
Thanks everyone for the reply.

Kind regards.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

I totally understand where you're coming from and I'll be here to answer your questions.

With the Sonos application, you can only set up 5.1 sound system with your home theater speakers.

Compose of the main speaker Beam, Sub, and 2 surrounds speakers only.

For the remaining speakers, you can create a stereo pair and group the 5.1 setup plus the 2 small speakers.

Here's a link that might help. Group and ungroup rooms

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Mark,
Thanks for the reply.
I had tried to create a group between the dining room and the other two sonos one SLs, but when I played the audio from the smart tv I could only hear the sonos beam, the sub and the two sonos ones inserted in the surround.

Why didn't I hear the TV sound from the two sonos SLs belonging to the group anyway?
Did I do something wrong ?

The speed of current n / ac routers has speeds that can handle a 7.1, can this new feature be implemented in a future version of the sonos app?

Kind regards,

Elia

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

I totally understand where you're coming from and I'll be here to answer your questions.

With the Sonos application, you can only set up 5.1 sound system with your home theater speakers.

Compose of the main speaker Beam, Sub, and 2 surrounds speakers only.

For the remaining speakers, you can create a stereo pair and group the 5.1 setup plus the 2 small speakers.

Here's a link that might help. Group and ungroup rooms

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Mark
can you explain it better.
If I create the group as you indicated, playing the audio from the smart TV connected with hdmi to the Sonos Beam, can I hear the audio from the Beam, from the Sub and from all four "Sonos One" ?
I tried, but I hear the audio only from the Beam, from the Sub and only from two “Sonos One” connected in surround.

Thanks for your reply.

Elia

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Elia.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

In your case, the home theater setup is composed of  Sonos Beam, Sub, and two Sonos one and that's the limit for 5.1 home setup.

Now since you have an extra two more speakers you cannot use them as a surround speaker anymore like the other first 2 Sonos one.

But we can tweak the remaining two speakers and that's when Group and ungroup rooms will come in.

The other two speakers you're trying to group will only produce a stereo sound and not a surround.

Hi all,

I have the same challenge as Elia. I just purchased 2 Sonos One SL’s to add to my current Sonos home cinema setup of Sonos Beam and 2 Sonos One’s. Now I realise reading various posts this is not possible. I would possibly live with the setup you explain above with the extra speakers added as a stereo pair in a group. However, when I tried to group via the Sonos 2 app it was greyed out. When I click on it it says I have too many rooms created. I never setup these rooms in the app as the list of rooms available was already in the app.

One other question if I group the SL’s with the home cinema setup, will I get an echo as I have seen some people having this issue when trying to add extra speakers?  

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @DJ Phil I Am.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system and reply back with the screenshot showing the error message showing too many rooms created.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.