Answered

Beam & Sky Q impossible to sync the sound

• 1 December 2020
  • 7 replies

I set up my new Beam yesterday.  My set up is SkyQ 2tb box, a Samsung UE43RU7100 4K TV and 2 x Play 1 speakers for Surround Sound.

The Beam is connected to the HDMI ARC port on the TV

My Issue is this.  If I watch Netfix or Amazon Prime directly from the inbuilt Apps on the TV the sound is  syncing.  The surround sound is great.  No issues really at all

However, watching anything from the Sky Box is impossible.  The sound/ sync is miles out.  I’ve tried adjusting the audio delay on the Sky Q box.  Its makes no differnece, whatever the delay I try.  I have also tried adjusting the delay on the TV setting.  Again no improvement.  Nor if I adjust the TV Dialog under Home Thatre in the Sonos App.  Nothing enables me to get anywhere near close to being able to get the syncing right.  It makes watching “TV” via the Sky box impossible.

Now this is the case when I have the audio setting in my SKYQ box set as follows:  Digital Output HDMI is set to Dolby Digital

If I put this setting back to “normal” the sound syncs OK!

But the Sky setting tell you that the Dolby Digital setting is the one to use with sound equipment that allows surround sound!

There must be loads of people out there with SKY Q boxes, a Smart TV and a Sonos Beam. 

My system works great - except for anything coming from the Sky box

Has anyone found a way get Dolby Digital/Surround Sound to work, not only for Netflix/Amazon etc but with Sky too and without any sound sync issues?

I would very much appreciate some help

icon

Best answer by ApplesMA9 18 January 2021, 18:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @Shane_16.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

Let me check it for you and see what we can do.

Kindly reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app shortly after the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Does Sky Q still have optical out? If so, as an experiment try running direct from Sky Q to Beam using the adapter. 

I wouldn't waste your time submitting a diagnostic for this.

By way of explanation… Your audio is lagging the picture.  The Arc can only play the audio when it gets it - which it does, without adding delay.  No adjustment in the Sonos app can correct this.

The delay is probably from the way the TV processes multichannel audio from HDMI input rather than from the Sky Q.  The experiment I suggested will settle this question.  Then we can consider best solution.

I have this exact same issue with my Beam, I get that I can use it with Normal sound. But I’d rather Dolby Digital so I get the best experience.

The Sky seems to delay by at least a second when set to Dolby Digital and it is maddening!! 

Also plugging the Sky directly into the Beam using ARC as suggested by John, means I cannot then use the Apps on the TV (Netflix, Disney+, Prime or Apple TV)

Hi @ApplesMA9 .  I suggested it as a troubleshooting experiment to track down the source of delay, not a permanent solution.  (And i suggested optical, not ARC.)

However, you could also take an optical from the TV and put the two optical cables through a switch, with the switch output connected to the adapter.  I am not saying this is a perfect solution. 

Ah I see, sorry for the misunderstanding and misquote... Reading further it seems like a larger issue with Sky.

I'll most likely settle for "Normal" sound unless someone has an easy fix without purchasing more equipment. 

No worries.  You might consider going down the optical switch route.  Something like this would wiork:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiNKFOR-Toslink-Switcher-2x1-Cable/dp/B083LDKZF6/ref=sr_1_16?adgrpid=58805485088&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB2_KolrorNNcMWakoZ0Vsuilaq7Vas8iCYeLByuFZ-8tn5qLfvu2NBoCqb4QAvD_BwE&hvadid=259082020006&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006548&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16321740130650317390&hvtargid=kwd-296899572389&hydadcr=5084_1827848&keywords=digital+optical+switch&qid=1610992268&sr=8-16&tag=googhydr-21