Answered

Beam: PCM or auto

• 3 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi

I'm pretty new to all this. Just got a Sonos Beam (to go with an LG OLED55B8SLC TV). It's my only bit of Sonos kit so far.
Under sound settings, I have the option to choose either PCM or auto. The setup instructions don't seem to mention which to go for.

Which should I choose? (I'm connected via HDMI/ARC). Thanks!
icon

Best answer by jgatie 3 December 2018, 22:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Auto. It will probably default to PCM (stereo) because you have no surround, but it may just send DD 5.1 and let the Beam figure out the mix. Either way, you will get the best possible.
I have a Samsung 40" F8000 Series 8 Smart 3D Full HD LED TV which only outputs PCM so there is no way to get surround sound?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Setting it to auto may pass dd 5.1

You could try running from the optical of your cable box etc. direct to the Beam (using the optical adapter) and see if your source is outputting dd 5.1 before we start blaming the TV.
Thanks I just checked the setting on my YouView box and it was not set to Surround. I have changed this setting and sound is now coming through my Play 3 speakers. However on set up of my Beam I may have selected PCM rather than auto but I can't see where I can change this in settings on my Sonos app? I am currently connected via HDMI ARC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I setting in Sonos it adjusts to best it gets. You need to loom at tv audio output settings and make sure auto or Dolby digital bitstream
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As your still only showing stereo to the beam.