Beam only works with TV sometimes.

• 6 December 2018
  • 10 replies

I have a beat, sub and two one speakers, connected to a Samsung 65” frame TV. Connected HDMI ARC. Sonos is recognized on my TV, but TV isn’t recognized on sonos app. Speakers will only work sporadically regardless if reset or re-synced. One day, turn on the TV and works fine. Next, turn on the TV and nothing. No rhyme or reason and I’m about to return this expensive speaker system if sonos can’t get its act together. Diagnostic 614010941. Please help me fix this, it’s driving me crazy.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi nallen2610

You can wait for Sonos to reply via this forum, but you'd be better advised to call Sonos given this time of the year (Holiday season).

I have a Samsung TV (circa 2013) and lost connection to my Beam after making changes in my speaker setup. The cure was to pull the power from the back of the TV (not from the wall) and remove power from the Beam in the same manner. Remove the Beam's HDMI cable from the Samsung HDMI_ARC port as well. Let both remain unplugged for about 10 minutes. Power up both, make sure that the Samsung HDMI AnyNet+ CEC is set to on and then reconnect the HDMI cable for the Beam to the TV.

Please post back with your experiences. Cheers!
AjTrek1,

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. After installing my new Beam it worked great for a week and then I lost the connection to my Samsung Series 5 LED TV. The TV did not even recognize the Beam. I unplugged the Beam several times in an effort to reconnect it, but I never thought to unplug the TV. You made my day.
Userlevel 7
Glad I could help. Cheers!
Hello, I have the same problem, a Sonos beam + sub + two one’s all set as surrround, connected via HDMI ARC to a Samsung The Frame TV, and the TV works fine, audio comes trough the Sonos surround setup and remote control form tv properly controls volume on Sonos, the problem is that my Sonos room (set up for the surround) disappears form the Sonos app, can not control it, see it, listen to music, only works with the TV but it is not visible on the app, I do not know if it has something to do with the Frame TV entering art mode or what could be the problem, if I want to see my Sonos room on the app I have to turn off tv and unplug Sonos beam son it can show and play music, but as soon as I use my tv the problem returns, please help. Thanks!
There should be one room in your case, probably called TV or something. The surrounds are part of that room. In the controller, when you go to "...More" and then "Settings" and "Room Settings", you'd see a room called "TV (+Sub +LS +RS). This indicates that the logical construct of that room contains your Beam, the Sub, and the two surround speakers. There is no separate room to see.

Now, if you want, you could click on that room name, and then "Advanced Audio", then "Surround Settings" and get to the page where you can adjust how the surround speakers work, for both music, and for TV. There's the two volume settings, and then "Music Playback" button. I'd recommend that you set that to "Full" rather than "ambient".
Thank you, I do have it setup like that and is named “tv room”, that is not the problem, the issue is that it disappears from the Sonos app, so the whole surround setup only works for the TV, I can not listen to music or see that particular room on the app.
Ah, so you're saying that the "tv room' is the one disappearing, not the room that you thought was the surrounds?

How do you have your system connected to your wifi? Do you have one speaker or a BOOST connected with an ethernet cable, or do they all connect directly to your wifi SSID?

If they're connected to your wifi, then it's more than likely that there's an issue with wifi interference

If you have one unit wired, then you may have an issue with a duplicate IP address with your Beam, which is knocking it (and all of the connected devices, the surrounds and the Sub) off of your network.

I'd recommend that the next time it disappears and reappears, you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Thanks Bruce, I have my system connected via an Ethernet cable to a Sonos Boost, and the other Sonos connected to a WiFi mesh via Google with pretty fast internet speeds, I used to have a Sony TV and it al worked perfectly, it is until I replaced the TV with a Samsung Frame that the issue appeared and I think it might be related to the art mode of the TV or something related since the issue did not happen with the former Sony TV connected in the same way (HDMI ARC). So, if I restart everything I can listen to music (Spotify) on my Sonos Surround (Beam + Sub + 2 Ones) and the “tv room” shows and it’s accesible on the app, as soon as I use my TV the zone/room disappears from the app, it works with the TV, but if I want to listen to music or control thee TV volume or settings in the app it’s not posible since the room is no longer available/visible in my zones.
OK, here's a couple of comments.

1) If you have a Sonos BOOST, and have that connected to your router with an ethernet cable, then all of your devices should be running on SonosNet, and show up as WM:0 in the "About My Sonos System" in the controller's settings area.

2) If the room disappears when you go into a specific mode on the TV set, I'm going to hazard a guess at some wifi interference being generated by the TV set, interfering with the ability of the Beam's ability to connect to the BOOST. I'd recommend that the next time the room disappears, you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. It's pretty clear based on the fact that it worked with your previous TV, and not with the new one, that it isn't a Sonos issue per se, it's something that's changed with the TV set/environment.
Thanks Bruce, I tried that but can not get the diagnostics of my tv room since it disappears from the Sonos app.
I do have the SonosNet running and show up as WM:0 in the "About My Sonos System" .
I submitted my system diagnostic as suggested, confirmation number is 725870044.