Answered

Beam: only working with some channels

• 22 October 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi.  I am so frustrated with the Beam that I have.  Ive only had it a few weeks but it only works on some HD channels not all and not on any SD channels.  Its connected via ARC.   It also has a constant ‘blip’ on one of the main channels that I watch so sometimes I’m missing a word or a phrase.  Also it’s a bit of a hit or miss if it actually connects with my Samsung TV.  I’ve lost hours on this.  I can’t say this has been money well spent so far but I’m hoping things will improve.  Anyone had the same issues or have any advice for fixing these. Thanks 

icon

Best answer by debrawilson01 23 October 2019, 18:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It sounds (sorry, no pun intended) as though there’s been some issue in the HDMI-CEC handshake between the Beam and the TV set itself. 

I’d be doing a couple of things.

First, I’d check to see if there’s an update to the firmware on your Samsung. From what I’ve heard, there have been several over the last 18 to 24 months, and your set may be one that needs to be updated. 

Second, I’d try a simple power cycle of the TV. By which I mean actually physically unplugging the TV from your wall for at least two minutes. In order to force a new HDMI-CEC handshake, you can’t just use the remote and turn it off and back on, it requires a full power cycle. While you’re at it, do a complete power cycle of the Beam, as well, although there’s not a lot of “intelligence” going on there, but it would be a smart thing to do.

Normally, this is where I’d be suggesting that you check the audio settings on the TV to ensure it’s sending a Dolby Digital signal to the Beam, but the HDMI-ARC connection is supposed to handle that for you. I will suggest, however, that you check any device that you use to feed a signal to your TV to ensure they’re set for Dolby Digital as well. Some of them may be HDMI-ARC compliant, and get the information from the TV, but some might not be, so it’s good to check all of them to ensure they’re passing the correct signal. 

Thanks for your reply and advice.  I have had to reset the HDMI-CEC a couple of times when the beam just wouldn’t connect to the tv.  I have switched everything off and on again but it’s not made a difference.  I’m now thinking it’s something to do with the HUMAX tv box that we use although it’s never been a problem with any other sound bar we’ve had.  Am I daft in thinking this should be simple and it’s not.  As much as I love my SONOS system, I’m really not taking to the Beam.  

Userlevel 7

Hi debrawilson01

I’m not positive if I researched your correct HUMAX box but here are the results from the UK site. If you are using a HUMAX box from  Group I….Digital Plus is not recognized by the Beam

Group II using Dolby Digital….is recognized by the Beam. Not sure about the signaficance of Pulse whelther or not it can be isolated from Dolby Digital or if it rides on the same stream and what affect (if any) it may have on audio output.

Group I: HUMAX Cable_Dolby Digital Plus

• FVP-5000T
  • HDR-2000T
  • HDR-1800T

Group II: HUMAX Satellite_Dolby Digital/Pulse

• HDR-1100S
  • HB-1100S

Bottom-line it’s probably not be the Beam and may not be your Samsung. Although my Samsung did not play well with the Beam either; but the issue was not audio...just on/off commands. Try changing the audio output on the HUMAX to something other than Dolby Digital. Let us know how things sort out.

Cheers!

Hi.  Thanks for your help with this.  I have came up with a solution that will mean I won’t be sending the Beam back.  It works if I use just the Samsung TV for all channels and only use the HUMAX for recording and play back.  So thats what I’ll continue with. I’m glad I found out what the problem was and maybe in the future HUMAX and SONOS will be happy to work together.  Thanks again. 

Userlevel 7

So….what was/is the problem? One shouldn’t need to switch between sources (i.e. TV and HUMAX).

I’m guessing, AjTrek1, that the Humax device isn’t an HDMI-CEC device, so it’s not responding properly to the HDMI-ARC system on the TV asking for a Dolby Digital signal.

But that’s entirely a guess. It’s the only reason I can think of as to why the Humax device isn’t sending a signal that the Beam is telling the TV what it can interpret. Or maybe the TV’s HDMI-CEC setup isn’t capable of passing the request through.

I’d certainly be looking at the audio settings on the Humax device (and what company is that? I guess I need to google some stuff). and double checking the firmware on the TV for updates. In my mind, at least, this isn’t an issue with the Sonos. The TV is the “hub” of HDMI-CEC, so there’s something upstream that’s not responding properly. Since the OP’s TV tuner seems to be responding with an appropriate signal, there’s got to be something about that Humax device. Either it’s not HDMI-CEC compliant, which would be surprising, or it’s not making the appropriate handshake with the hub/TV.

It’s the only logical chain I can make.