Question

Beam - Is DTS Normalisation Really Possible from Xbox Bluray Player?

• 11 November 2020
  • 2 replies

I’m not really looking for troubleshooting help, but just feedback on whether playing Blurays through my XBox-X with DTS is really worth pursuing.  My issue is well documented.. the volume is too low during dialogue.. and too loud during action.

Setup:

Xbox X - Disc - Dynamic Range Setting appears to make no difference. In Audio Im sending bitstream to my TV as Dolby Digital.

TV - Samsung something, TV detects its sending Dolby Digital to HDMI output.  (There are no normalisation/dynamic audio settings available here). Sending out through hdmi port(not eARC).

Sonos Beam - iOS App shows its receiving Dolby Digital 5.1

I think one of the main problems is perhaps the Xbox Blurayer player is not really adjusting the volume levels of the audio enough?  (I don't think the TV or the Beam adjusts anything)

Will adding two rear speakers help in anyway?  Or will the dialog from the center channel still feel really faint?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The Xbox will not adjust the volume, no. It just takes the bits from the disk, optionally transcodes them, and spits them out. All digital. The job of volume control needs to be done by the device containing the analog amplifier ie the Beam in this case.

I assume you have experimented with the Speech Mode and Night Mode options of he Beam?

Thank you very very much.  I was ignorant to those two options and man do they make a difference.  I sort of wish they would add them to the section where they have the loudness on/off setting in the UI.(Im on iOS)

Forthe Xbox Option for Dynamic Range Control is for then, in their article https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/games-apps/apps-help/disc-blu-ray-settings - 

The following advanced settings are available for the Blu-ray player:

• Dolby Digital dynamic range control. This setting allows for full audio or modifies the audio to keep a consistent volume even through the loudest action scenes.

Maybe it only applies when you are listening via headphones connected to the Xbox as it only has HDMI and Optical out.  Anyways that's for Microsoft to clarify.