Beam in stereo or 5.1 modes

• 13 February 2021
  • 4 replies

I ma new wtih the Beam and I did read somewhere that it is important for a good sound that the beam plays 1.5. In the app you can check if it is in 5.1. or stereo.

At this moment it is in stereo mode and not 5.1.

I have the beam connected with the HDMI (arc) on a LG tv.

Q: how do i get 5.1. sound from the beam?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Submarine.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share some information to help out.

• The Sonos Beam if connected to the TV with no Sub and Surround speakers acts as your 3.0. (Front Left, Center, and Front Right).
  • Add a Sonos Sub to your Sonos Beam makes it 3.1.
  • Add 2 Sonos products as indicated on this guide and this FAQ completes the 5.1 home theater surround sound setup.

To be able to get 5.1 audio codec, here are some points to consider.

• TV audio out on the TV menu should be set to 5.1, surrounds, or Dolby Digital 5.1.
  • The movie you are watching should also be 5.1 enabled or encoded or using 5.1 audio format as also indicated on this FAQ about supported audio format for home theater
  • You would also need the Sonos Sub, and add surrounds speakers for you to experience 5.1 surround sound as the Sonos Beam alone cannot generate a complete 5.1 surround sound audio.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7

What specific content are you testing? What media devices are you using? What model TV is your LG?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Submarine

on your LG  sound settings check 

The Digital Sound should be set to Pass through and not Auto ,then check the Sonos app should be Dolby Digital 5.1 ( if the channel is playing in that format)

Cheers

No specific content yet. I will check my settings en will start after that with a 5.1 movie.

Thanks for the reply’s.