Answered

Beam Blocks The TVs IR Remote Sensor

• 22 July 2018
  • 6 replies

My Beam soundbar blocks the IR sensor on my Sony TV connected via HDMI ARC. I am able to control the volume with the TV remote however am not able to control any other TV functions such as access to Netflix through the Smart TV app.

When I purchased the Beam, the dealer assured me that the Beam had an IR repeater and I would be able to control all the TV functions with its IR remote.

Would you please tell me which settings need to be adjusted so that I may control all the TV functions with the TVs IR remote while the Beam soundbar is located in front of it?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 23 July 2018, 21:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Can't help with the IR repeater settings but I have a non-Sonos speaker in front of my TV that caused the same problem. I made a short block to go under the TV's legs to bump it up an inch higher and solved the problem.
I did the same thing raising the TV with the Sony soundbar I had before the Beam. I have the same blocks under the TV legs now but they're not quite tall enough as the Beam is higher than the Sony.

I was hoping to avoid this problem and is why I specifically enquired about the IR repeater.

Hopefully there is a way to control the TV without having to boost it up higher. IMO, the blocks make the TV and soundbar look cheap and tacky.

Thanks for your reply:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hopefully someone else or Sonos will get back to you on the IR option, it would be the best way.
Same problem here. I was hoping it would pass through all the remote commands rather than just volume.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Beam has an IR receiver, but not an IR repeater. Some commands that are received over IR will be sent back to the TV over CEC, assuming you're connected with HDMI-ARC and you have the TV's CEC enabled.

You may need to boost the TV up if the commands you're needing don't pass through, or you're connected using the optical connection.
The Play:Bar has an IR repeater on the back. The Beam appears to have omitted this functionality.