Beam and Projector Set-up

• 28 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Hey all,

So I took the leap and installed some home cinema equipment

1 x Optoma UHD30 projector 

1 x Beam

2 x Play 1 for rear

1 x Tendak splitter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PPMR8Y2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GehQEb1JADBYH

1 x Apple TV 4K

1 x Manhattan Freesat Box

The video and audio are splitting  but I’m not sure what’s the best audio setting - there’s a few options 5.1, 2.0 and Pass on the Tendak  

Most seems fine.  However, when switching to the Apple TV and watching something in UHD4K 5.1 on the 5.1 setting  only the background sound seemed to come though the Sonos.

Any ideas on the best combo for settings. Thanks. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi @drew2000_UK. Thanks for posting. 

Currently with the Sonos Beam, the only output source we support are Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM. The other codecs may produce issues. Perhaps one of our Community members may have a suitible work around for your desired output format,.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

...so… what’s the answer here? 

I have spent so much time trying to get a straight answer on how to get a 5.1 setup to work using an Apple TV and a Beam plus the ones and a sub. But everyone just says what DOESN’T work and not what DOES. 

Posting my own to try and get a definitive answer. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @haikuluke, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community! I understand you want to make your Beam work and it should work and give you 5.1 as long as you’re using the optical or HDMI-ARC connection to your source device and audio settings are properly set.

Hope this helps. We and the community are always here to help.