Question

Audio with HDMI Switch

• 27 January 2018
  • 2 replies

I picked up a Monoprice HDMI switch (MD-415ARC) and I'm having difficulty outputting audio to Plex on the Samsung Plex app. I'm using a Playbar, two Play:1s and the sub.

The Xbox, PS4, and DirecTV receiver all output audio correctly, but I'm unable to get any audio at all via Plex using the TV's native Plex app.

Without the switch audio works fine, save for anything in DTS, hence the need for the switch.

I've tracked down that the non-DTS audio works in Plex without the switch because the Playbar is connected directly to the TV via Toslink. This means the TV is sending the audio directly to the Playbar and the Playbar does everything it can to output the signal its given.

When using the switch the Toslink is connected from the switch to the Playbar, but since the Plex app is native to the TV there's nothing coming from the TV directly to the Playbar. The TV has a wired LAN connection, which means Plex works without an HDMI interface. There's nothing to send audio to the Playbar, right?

Is anyone using this combination of tools (Samsung TV/Plex App/HDMI switch/Sonos) and found a way to output everything *including* DTS?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I think I must not be understanding this. Why are you concerned about outputting DTS when the Sonos system doesn't have the capability of interpreting it? It can only handle stereo and Dolby Digital only.

Currently, that is. No idea if they have any plans about adding (and paying for the appropriate licenses for all existing systems out there) DTS.
Sounds like the ARC function of the switch is not working correctly. Did you confirm that the switch is plugged into the HDMI ARC input of your TV? Have you checked in the TV's sound settings and/or the individual Plex app settings? Another "work around" option may be to use the Plex app on your XBox instead. I have had no issues with the Plex app on my XBox One.