Atmos through Apple TV, Netflix etc

• 9 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi there ,

I wonder if someone can help with the atmos through Apple TV or other sources ,

when I play directly from my tv eg. Netflix and other streaming service it does play atmos , but when I play the same film on Apple TV it doesn’t and is the same film ? hdmi and everything is connected properly, don’t understand 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

The TV needs to have eARC to be able to play Atmos from ATV4K.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you , is connected to Arc but play atmos through the Sony tv with the android apps and is only when is connected to Apple TV when the sounds change to DD plus

As ekeok suggests, the Apple apps don’t use Dolby Digital Plus, but instead TrueHD. TrueHD requires eARC to be transmitted. It’s possible that some other apps on your AppleTV send a Dolby Digital Plus signal, which can be carried by regular ARC. There is no way to force the AppleTV to use only Dolby Digital Plus on the Apple apps, such as Movies, etc. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

A slight correct: ATV4K sends Dolby MAT for its Atmos contents. Blu-ray players send TrueHD.

Oops, good point, sorry about that.