Answered

Atmos from Apple TV 4k to Arc via AirPlay

• 2 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I have an Arc (with 2 play one’s as surround) paired with an Apple TV 4k via Airplay. As I am using a 4k projector (LG HU80ka via HDMI2 Arc port) I do not want to use a physical HDMI cable between the Arc and the Apple TV. I have the Apple TV HDMI connected to the projector (with the right HDMI 4k cable) Can I get Atmos using Airplay from the Apple TV 4k wirelessly to the Arc?

The Sonos App does not display Arc is receiving Atmos and the Apple TV audio set up indicates that the system is just 5.1

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Paul A 7 January 2021, 16:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @JorisLoet.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I would like to share with you some information to better understand what is going on and how to proceed with your current setup.

The Sonos Arc can be connected to the TV via HDMI eARC to get Atmos codec. only the Sonos Arc supports HDMI eARC connection with the TV. We do not recommend connecting Sonos home theater products to a projector as this is not a supported setup Allow me to share with you the guide about supported home theater audio formats. The Atmos Audio codec that passes through the HDMI eARC port of the TV are Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, and MCLPCM which is supported and only available through the Sonos ARC and as also indicated on the FAQ provided, (needs eARC connection). I would like to recommend connecting the Sonos Arc through the HDMI eARC port (if your Apple TV or projector has one) and observe the audio feedback. 

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have other questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,

Thanks Paul.

I have an Apple TV 4K which I would like to Airplay to the Arc. The projector I have has a HDMI 2 Arc connection on the projector connected via HDMI to the Apple TV 4k and would like to Airplay the sound from the Apple TV to the Arc. Does Airplay support Dolby Atmos?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @JorisLoet.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

Unfortunately, Dolby Atmos is only supported via HDMI eARC connection as also indicated on the guide provided. However, We can always reach out to other members of the community to check their recommendations and feedback if they have any experience receiving Dolby Atmos codec through other means of connectivity other than HDMI eARC.

Let us try to reach out to other members of the community.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Here in the community, everybody are welcome to help and ask questions.

Thanks,