Arc with true Dolby Atmos

• 13 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Just wanted to report in.   For years my Arc system (two surrounds and a sub) has been used with an older LG OLED without the newer eARC and I was getting Dolby Atmos “lite.”   Yesterday I updated to the new LG C3 which has the new HTML 2.1 eARC and am now getting the full Atmos.  My word, the sound quality is at another level. I simply can’t believe how good it is.

I didn’t know what I was missing.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey @Dennis from FL, welcome back! 🙂

I’m really glad you are enjoying the full Dolby Atmos experience.

Thank you for the kind words, the feedback is much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not to say I doubt you experience better sound, but as I understand it you can get Atmos either via compressed audio or via uncompressed audio. Compressed audio does not need eARC, uncompressed does need eARC. Apps on your TV use compressed audio, BD-players for example use uncompressed. If you are still using apps on your TV, you’re still getting compressed audio, so I would wonder where the better experience stems from.

Unless (the apps on) your older TV was (where) not Atmos capable and the (apps on) the new TV is (are). This would however mean you are now getting Atmos and you weren’t before.

Can you explain where the improvement you experience stems from in your opinion? Or where my reasoning is wrong?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Can you explain where the improvement you experience stems from in your opinion? Or where my reasoning is wrong?

Before eArc, I didn’t get the 360 spacial Atmos delivers, I assume I was lacking the ceiling bounce.   But the Sonos APP was telling me it was indeed getting Atmos.   

To tell you the truth, I had forgotten about the lack of eArc, but when I was browsing the Disney movies with the new TV, I came across a Dolby Atmos movie that immediately got my attention and then I remembered !!

A couple of links here on Atmos transmission via Dolby Digital 5.1.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/how-to/hdmi-earc-sonos-arc-4035031

https://thehometheaterdiy.com/dolby-atmos-audio-without-hdmi-earc/