Answered

Arc - wall mount or not...

• 2 July 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m new to Sonos and very much looking forward to try out my Sub Gen 3 and my Arc once my new place is finished. Currently having craftsmen doing some work before I can move in.

First, I planned to have the Arc standing on a media bench but then I started thinking if I maybe should mount it on the wall instead. So I bought the Sonos Arc wall mount.

Then I found some information about the sound being changed if you mount it to the wall using the original Sonos wall mount for the Arc. Where the Arc will sense it’s mounted to the wall via a magnet built-in into the Sonos wall mount. Where the sound (primarily the base as I understand it) will be less.

Whether this is something you really want seems to be different depending on who you ask.

I also bought a 3rd party wall mount for the Arc from Flexson since I have a white Arc but wasn’t able to find the original Sonos Arc wall mount in white. Only black. Not even sure if there is a white version of the original Sonos Arc wall mount?

Also not sure if the Flexson also comes with a built-in magnet to activate the Arc wall mount EQ.

Would be interesting to hear from you guys in here what your experience is in this regard, having the Arc mounted to the wall or not.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 2 July 2021, 23:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

There’s quite a helpful YT video on this subject, as linked below, if you haven’t seen it already:

Userlevel 7

How far do you think you’ll be seated from the wall where the Arc will be mounted? The reason why I ask is because there is a certain distance where the height channels from Dolby Atmos content can be heard the best. If you are seated too far from the Arc, you won’t hear it very well. The extra foot or so you would gain from placing the Arc on a media stand rather than mounting it to the wall might make a difference.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for your input guys!

I already watched the linked video. Fact is that video was one of the reasons I came in here to ask about this and what actual Arc users in here have to say about this.

The guy in the video doesn’t seem to be a fan of the automatic EQ adjustment that takes place when using the original wall mount. While other people say there’s a good reason Sonos decided to design it this way. Surely they wouldn’t do anything that would make their own products sound/perform anything but the very best. Which IMO is a very sensible opinion.

Guess the best thing is to simply try it out myself but was hoping to find some people in here who already did the same testing and could share the result and which way they decided to go and why.

With the Arc wall-mounted, my viewing distance would be just under 4 meters.

Userlevel 7

4 meters is likely too far to hear the height channels. If hearing the upward firing speakers is important to you, I would try to decrease the distance by either moving your seating closer or moving the Arc closer by placing it on a media console. How tall are your ceilings? Are they flat and without obstruction?

For reference, I have 8 foot high flat ceilings and the Arc is 6 feet from the ceiling. I can hear the upward firing speakers best when I am seated 5-7 feet from the Arc.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The height to the ceiling is 2,5 meters and the ceiling is completely flat with no obstructions.

Due to the layout of the living room, it will be hard for me to get any closer to the Arc from where I need to have the sofa and the TV.

I'll play around with it once I get it set up and running. From what you say, I guess I'll end up having the Arc on the media console. That will at least bring it a bit closer to where I'll sit.

Would be a pity if I won't be able to enjoy the full sound of the Arc including its Dolby Atmos capability.

Userlevel 7

Unfortunately that has always been a limitation of Dolby Atmos soundbars. The upward firing drivers can only reach so far. That is why many Arc owners are requesting Sonos to develop a Sonos One SL speaker with an upward firing driver. If a pair of these were added as rear surrounds to an Arc setup, it would add two more height channels that would cover the back of longer rooms.

One other tip you can try is putting a small wedge under the feet of the Arc to angle it towards your seating area. This will angle the Arc’s top drivers so the Dolby Atmos sweet spot will be further out.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for the advice, will keep that in mind when I start testing the setup 👍