Answered

Arc + Switch + old plasma with PCM optical out.

• 24 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi there,

I have an Arc and a Sub in my cart, but given my 2008 Panasonic plasma only supports PCM/Dolby Digital via fibre optic digital out, I’m wondering if it will pass the Switch’s LPCM to the Arc or not.

As I understand it, PCM and LPCM are the same, but I’m still a bit concerned the TV will only pass stereo to the Arc, and I’m not sure I want the added complexity and expense of one of these HDFury deals.

Very much appreciate any insight or replies.

icon

Best answer by Paul A 24 January 2021, 16:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @DonovanB.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share some information that might help. 

Here is the guide about Supported home theater audio formats. Both PCM and LPCM as well as Dolby Digital audio format are supported by the Sonos Arc. The only difference is that LPCM audio format can only be generated by the Sonos Arc through HDMI eARC connection and not just your regular HDMI ARC port on the TV directly. Sonos does not recommend any audio extractor or switches as it may or may not work. Sonos always recommends that our home theater product be connected directly to the TV. Since you have mentioned about your TV having optical port, The Sonos Arc comes with an HDMI to optical converter which can be used to connect the Sonos Arc to your TV, however, The audio format that you would only be getting is PCM and Dolby Digital or 5.1 surrounds. Allow me to share with you the Sonos Arc functionalities, limitations, features, and guidelines.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi @Paul A, thanks for the welcome, and thank you very much for your reply. Very helpful.

So Multichannel LPCM is a no-go via optical. Bummer.

Are you able to confirm if the Sub will engage in that case to fill in the low end, or would it strictly be stereo 2.0 through the Arc?

Thanks again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @DonovanB.

Thanks for your immediate response and feedback.

So Multichannel LPCM is a no-go via optical. Bummer. Yes, currently McLPCM or Multichannel LPCM is only available through the ARC using the HDMI eARC connection.  

Are you able to confirm if the Sub will engage in that case to fill in the low end, or would it strictly be stereo 2.0 through the Arc? Since you are able to connect your ARC via optical port of your TV using the HDMI to optical adapter, I would suggest taking this advantage and change the audio output of your TV from PCM to Dolby Digital, surrounds, or 5.1 (which ever does apply) as this audio format surely has low frequency codec necessary for your Sub.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how it goes and keep me posted.

Thanks,